Downgrade iPhone 4 from iOS 4.3 to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XxS4CR3DxX, Mar 27, 2011.

1. XxS4CR3DxX macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Hi there im new to this forum and thought I'd join as there seems to be alot of helpfully stuff and people, anyways I have an iPhone 4 (factory unlocked one) iTunes updated it to 4.3 when I told it not to:( is there anyway I can down grade it to 4.2.1? My baseband was updated to the new anyways hope you guys can help. Thanks

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Apple stops signing 4.2.1, therefore, you can't downgrade your phone back to 4.2.1. However, your phone is factory unlock, it doesn't matter which firmware it on because if will remain unlock.

Is there a reason you want to downgrade your phone back to 4.2.1 from4.3?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if u have shsh blobs saved on cydias server for 4.2.1
    You can find out by running Tinyumbrella.

4. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Well some apps I was using don't work on 4.3 as they don't update them anymore, plus the jailbreak was fine on 4.2.1 as I had some apps on there to I was using

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

This is the only way to know TS.

6. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Ok I'll check it out, if they not saved I'll run the snowbreeze 4.3 tethered jailbreak as I have tried it and it's stable and runs fine

7. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

If anyone knows. I have never jb my iPhone 4 and I don't have shsh saved. But my battery life sucks with 4.3.1. How can I downgrade to 4.2.1?

If a jb is released for 4.3.1 then will it be possible to jb and then downgrade?
    And how!

Thanks

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, without shsh blobs you cannot downgrade firmware. Even if you JB you cannot restore to older firmware without shsh blobs.
    Kalhmera!

9. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I downgraded last night.. Just fine from iOS 4.3.1 to 4.2.1. TinyUmbrella was useless in kicking it out of recovery though. Follow this tutorial and use their version of iRecovery to kick it out.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It works for you because your phone previously jailbroken and has SHSH blob save.

We do not know if OP's phone has SHSH blob save. If it does not, then there is no way to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1.

11. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

I'm still on 4.3 as my blobs didn't save for some reason!, now the 4.3 sn0wbreeze 2.3b4 don't work! So I ain't gonna update to 4.3.1

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

avoid sn0wbreeze if you can. I will just say most people here don't use it!

13. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

If sn0wbreeze is bad to use witch is best to use?

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can only save the blobs for 4.3.1 right now, because that's the iOS that Apple has released. You can't save earlier blobs if you didn't initiate the process back then. Once you initiate the blob save, it'll do it for you automatically. After that, you'll only have to use TU to save them to your computer.
    If you've got a mac, pwnage is best for preserving bb.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

PwnageTooll FTW! :cool:

16. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Okay crazy question. I've jail broken my phone for some time now and used limera1n (I believe it's called) then on to green poison at a future update. I can't remember what I did in cydia but I atleast pressed ok to essential upgrades. Now with that said, I've read (not sure where) to have Tiny Umbrella downloaded to the PC so it can save shsh bobs. So I did that and it's saying the following:

4.2b3
    4.3b1
    4.3b2
    4.3b3

The latest OS I have on my IP4 is 4.2.1.

Questions:
    1. What are all of these saved shsh's if my latest is 4.2.1
    2. I don't recall ever before being prompt to save anything so how is anything there?
    3. Is there anything else I need to do with cydia or TU as progress through OS updates?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those are the firmware versions you can restore or downgrade your phone to at any time you want.
    Once you save your shsh blobs once then Cydia requests and saves them for you automaticly with each firmware release.
    You dont need to do anything any more thru cydia or TU cause it will be done for you. As long as you do the initial start you're good after that.

18. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Initial Start? Not sure what you mean by that.

I just hooked up my iPad and its saying that the saved SHSH is 4.3.1 when it's currently on 4.3

I keep reading all of the horror stories with the 4.3.1 so I wanted to make sure I saved 4.3 but ummm it isn't there in TU.

19. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Initial start means once you start saving SHSH, Cydia will automatically SHSH save all future firmwares for your phone.

As for your iPad, because apple stops signing 4.3. Therefore you can only SHSH save 4.3.1 now and that the reason you don't see 4.3

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I didn't know iTunes will update any iphone even if you tell it not to. I guess we learn something new everyday.

21. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

+1:d

22. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

PwnageTooll is for mac what about windows?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We hear new amazing things every day here:D

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The computers are starting their takeover. Luckily for me, my computer is under control so far. No incidents of itunes takeover yet. :rolleyes:

25. XxS4CR3DxX thread starter macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Mine knows I'm in control lol, I think it did it when I was doing a restore I didn't think it downloaded as I click cancel when it said update available