Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThePiratkapten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Well, the title says what I'm after. Here's the situation:

- iPhone 4
- Currently on iOS 7.1.1
- Want to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1
- Was delivered with iOS 4.0.2 (or 4.1)
- Has never been jailbroken
- Do not have own shsh blobs
- Can get blobs from another iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1
- Want it untethered

I've googled around and found out that is possible. There are however a few things I haven't figured out.
1. Will the jailbreak (and downgrade) be tethered or untethered? One source says it will be tethered, but googling "ios 5.1.1 untethered" says it's possible.

2. Can I put the device to sleep? A source claims that without the correct blobs, putting the phone to sleep will cause reboots (or whatever it was).

3. Will my iPhone be changed permanently? I know that you can just restore, but when you jailbreak, are there files written to some kind of funky hidden-away memory on the phone, or something similiar?

Is there something else I should know before I proceed? Any tips or experience you want to share?

(I know I should just learn to live with iOS 7, but I don't want to! If it's possible to get iOS 5.1.1, I would really want to try at least.)

Thanks for reading! :)

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
The blobs must also be from your device. You cannot use someone elses blobs to downgrade.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
you're better off looking for a second hand iphone 4 that hasn't been updated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.