Downgrade iPod Touch 1.1.1 to 1.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pimmysays, Oct 1, 2007.

1. pimmysays macrumors member

hey guys, I just got a week 38 ipod (replaced me week 37) and it came with 1.1.1 pre-installed, i want to downgrade to 1.1 to make sure that my screen isn't defective (i dont want software but a hardware solution to negative black effect) and I hear 1.1 contrasts colors better. Is there any way to downgrade to 1.1? Where can I obtain 1.1 firmware?

2. Remixen macrumors member

sow why?:p If the screen is okey now, yhen it is okey..

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i wouldnt worry about it, if the videos you have on it look good and your happy, i had the negative black and the update fixed it and there is no difference to any other contrast settings.

4. uburoibob macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. There were no defective screens - only defective drivers. The blacks were never better than they are on the one you have now. People that say different are needing more fulfilling lives...

Bob:rolleyes:

5. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

It absolutely changes the contrast. Why does it bother you so much that people are upset with apple. Talk about fulfilling lives.

6. Cache macrumors regular

It was a hardware issue. :rolleyes:

7. pimmysays thread starter macrumors member

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

A. I don't think anyone really knows with 100% uncertainty what the deal was. If I had to guess I would say its only a firmware difference, but it's hard to say which anecdotal reports you read on the internet are the most accurate ones...

B. If you have to retrograde your firmware in order to see if there was a possible defect in your screen that only really shows up with old firmware, then you really shouldn't bother.

You can, however, compare and obsess about your iPod Touch as it works now, in comparison to other iPhones and iPods. My screen still has a small amount of shimmer in the blacks, but it's near unnoticeable and overall the screen is GREAT quality (color, sharness, overall 'richness'.) If I ever notice that other iPods look better then I will perhaps study it a bit more, otherwise I'm not going to worry about it. I already really enjoy watching movies on my Touch (which wasn't the case with my Week 37.)

I'm more afraid of exchanging it and getting a worse screen (stuck pixels, etc.) than trying to upgrade a 95-98% screen to 100%.

9. pimmysays thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think i'll leave it alone for now, blacks still aren't perfect on my week 38 ipod although no where close to my week 37 ipod. I have a few dead pixels though, 6 and counting so i'm wondering if I should return it or not.

10. uburoibob macrumors regular

I could not have put it better. This paranoia has gotten completely out of control.

Bob:mad:

11. Barnard macrumors newbie

Take a read of these two threads regarding Nintendo causing Negative black issues on some LCD panels...

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759891
    http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=770489

I think it's the same problem the early Touches suffered from. Apple calibrated that batch of screens wrong. Expecting them to display blacker blacks than the most LCDs are capable of.

The week 37 screens were not faulty, just different.

(as my mum always used to say about me :D )