Downgrade iTunes 10.5 Beta to 10.3.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by requieminadream, Jun 8, 2011.

1. requieminadream macrumors member

requieminadream

Hey my fellow :apple:Rumor fiends!

I've tried out the iTunes 10.5 beta and iOS 5 beta. Enjoyed it, good fun. Downgraded my phone back to 4.3.3, and would like to downgrade iTunes if possible.

Thoughts?

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

delete your itunes app from applications

go to music/itunes/previous libraries and find the latest one (it was created as a back up when you upgraded)

move it to the root music/itunes folder and you will see another "iTunesLibrary.itl" file to match the many you found in the Previous folder.

Rename the current one and rename the old one.

Im posting a walk through for this which will be better

3. tarentizzle macrumors newbie

disappearing media

I was wondering if my media will disappear if I don't downgrade iTunes 10.5 before expiring date?
    and if I downgrade, by following the walk through posted here, will my media disappear?

4. requieminadream thread starter macrumors member

requieminadream

Your media is yours, it definitely won't disapear if and when you upgrade to the official 10.5 release.

If you, however, downgrade to 10.4 and load up an old iTunes Library file, you'll find many files aren't in your library. This is because the old Library file doesn't have a record of anything you've added to your iTunes library since you installed the beta.

I think it'd be better to just wait til the final version of iTunes to come out.

5. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Why downgrade? You do know that iOS 5 GM is out and iTunes 10.5 beta 9 are fairly stable?

6. dunetraveller macrumors newbie

Gave up

I had to try and downgrade to a previous version of iTunes so I could upgrade a first generation iTouch given to me by my wife. It was collecting dust. I discovered it was iOs 2.2 and 3 was available. I purchased the upgrade on my macbook pro and kept getting the "check network connection" error. I had read that it was a problem with iTunes 10.5, and earlier versions should install without fail. Problem: Lion will not allow you to modify or delete iTunes due to it being an integral part of the OS. Bummer.

Solution: Head upstairs and crank up the Windows computer running iTunes 10.0 and do it from there. Windows to the rescue! :-(
    Bill Gates 1 Apple 0

Mixed feelings. Great that I can now download essential apps to my iTouch 1st gen, but sad that Apple hasn't been able to figure out a way to fix 10.5 to work with their support web pages.

I suspect, as has been posted in places, that this is quite a low priority for them. Ironic as this was a charge leveled (and quite true as well) at Google for failing to adequately upgrade their older products, while Apple was given high marks for having available the latest OS upgrades for all their products. True as far as availability goes, but being able to access it is quite a different story. I hope this changes soon.