Downgrade iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carfac, Mar 22, 2009.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I am thinking that the itunes is a bit too bloated for my use. I use it on a Windows Media Center computer, and I have a fairly substantial library. I would like to get back before all the flash was added- for sure before coverflow. I am not sure exactly what revision number that was. I would like it from back when it was just very good an management and playing the library- none of the fancy stuff.

So I am hoping for one of two things- either someone knows about the revision number where the bloat started and will tell me, or someone knows where there is a revision list I can look at to pick the version I want to revert back to.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Here is a list of all the old versions, with links. Enjoy.

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

4. lostless macrumors 6502

You know you dont have to use cover flow and all the pizzaz. If you just use list view, it just like older versions of itunes.

5. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

lostless is right. Consider that option, please.
    My computer is hella-slow for a lot of things, but 8.1 works very smoothly, where 8.0 made me temporarily despise my G5.

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

iTunes 5 was the best in my opinion. http://www.oldversion.com/ it was after that version that they started adding useless things like the album art fixer that never works, gapless playback which wastes hundreds of processor cycles analyzing your library for songs that "might" be gapless. Not sure if it has coverflow or not, but i don't imagine it does. Coverflow is also a useless cpu eater.

7. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

I have all the installers saved since 7.0. If I revert back to one I'm happy with, does the iTunes store change to an older version too? I liked 8.0 better than the newest version but I like the store as it is now.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think the store itself changes, but you will lose some features. HD movies requires v8.1, TV shows require v7 IIRC.

9. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

well that sucks because the only reason i want to downgrade is because of download errors- primarily with HD movies - error 9006