Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eseminario

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Hello friends,

My wife has a 4 year old Macbook (white) which originally came with OSX Snow Leopard and was upgrading every time until Mavericks. Now of course, the Macbook is absolutely slow, when even I tried erasing the disk, reinstalling like new, everything, not luck at all.

I'd like to know if I can downgrade to Snow Leopard to speed up the Mac and restore all the files from the recent Time Machine backup via Mavericks...is that compatible?

Please let me know how to restore if I lost the discs..I read somewhere the Internet Restore option?

Thank you!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If we are talking about the 2010 white Macbook 7,1....great machine. But the memory and storage are pathetic. I have 3 of them I am restoring right now. I put in 8GB of memory (around $76), a 500GB SSD ($249) but you could do 256GB for much less, and a battery if needed ($52). I have them running on Mavericks and Yosemite Beta without any problem.

Update the hardware. load Mavericks from the App Store, and enjoy a nice 13" Macbook classic. The machine should be good to go for Yosemite and the next couple of OS releases in the future. :D

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
You can put Snow Leopard back on and recover much of it's original speed, yes.
But you can't really restore the Time Machine backup as is. You can however manually copy your files over, or use migration assistant (possibly, not sure on that one).

I recently purchased a 2009 MacBook that shipped with Leopard (not even updated). I then loaded Yosemite and Mavericks on it and watched it choke (Pulled out the stock 120GB HDD and 2GB RAM for 4GB and 500GB I had). So I went back to Snow Leopard until my SSD arrives. I got a 128GB SanDisk for $57 shipped yesterday, so that'll be going in soon.

So yes, you can downgrade, but you'll need to manually restore files. That's the no cost option.

But for not much you can get a smaller SSD (120GB-256GB) and 4GB or 8GB RAM depending on budget and be perfectly fine on Mavericks and Yosemite for years to come. Still using a 2008 model in daily office use with a SSD. Runs great.

eseminario

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
If we are talking about the 2010 white Macbook 7,1....great machine. But the memory and storage are pathetic. I have 3 of them I am restoring right now. I put in 8GB of memory (around $76), a 500GB SSD ($249) but you could do 256GB for much less, and a battery if needed ($52). I have them running on Mavericks and Yosemite Beta without any problem.

Update the hardware. load Mavericks from the App Store, and enjoy a nice 13" Macbook classic. The machine should be good to go for Yosemite and the next couple of OS releases in the future. :D

Hi, I'm talking about the mid 2010 white Macbook. It came with only 2Gb Ram and I already upgraded to 4Gb but according to specs, I couldn't install 8Gb Ram.

----------

You can put Snow Leopard back on and recover much of it's original speed, yes.
But you can't really restore the Time Machine backup as is. You can however manually copy your files over, or use migration assistant (possibly, not sure on that one).

I recently purchased a 2009 MacBook that shipped with Leopard (not even updated). I then loaded Yosemite and Mavericks on it and watched it choke (Pulled out the stock 120GB HDD and 2GB RAM for 4GB and 500GB I had). So I went back to Snow Leopard until my SSD arrives. I got a 128GB SanDisk for $57 shipped yesterday, so that'll be going in soon.

So yes, you can downgrade, but you'll need to manually restore files. That's the no cost option.

But for not much you can get a smaller SSD (120GB-256GB) and 4GB or 8GB RAM depending on budget and be perfectly fine on Mavericks and Yosemite for years to come. Still using a 2008 model in daily office use with a SSD. Runs great.

Thanks for your tips! Can I really install 8Gb ram in my mid 2010 Macbook? I just downgraded last night to OSX Lion via Internet recovery and restored my files using time machine (data and user settings only without apps) and it worked perfect.

Now it's faster but I'll try with the sad and 8Ram if that's possible with my year/model Macbook.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (Mid-2010) Specs

Identifiers: Mid-2010 - MC516LL/A - MacBook7,1 - A1342 - 2395*

All MacBook Models | All 2010 Models | Dynamically Compare This Mac to Others

Distribute & Use Page: Bookmark & Share or Embed | Download: PDF Manual

Apple MacBookThe MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch (White Polycarbonate "Unibody" - Mid-2010) features a 2.4 GHz GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (P8600) -- with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip -- a 3 MB shared "on chip" level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz frontside bus, 2 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) installed in pairs (two 1 GB modules), a 250 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, and an 8X DL "SuperDrive." For graphics, it has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256 MB of SDRAM "shared with main memory" driving a 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix LED-backlit "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).

Like its predecessor, this model uses a polycarbonate "glossy white unibody" case design with a "non-skid" rubberized bottom surface. However, external improvements compared to its predecessor include a new "inertial" multi-touch trackpad and a redesigned "MagSafe" power safe connector.

Internally, like its predecessor, it has an integrated battery design that is not intended to be replaced by the end user, but battery life has been increased to an estimated 10 hours of runtime. It has a faster processor and improved graphics as well.

Connectivity includes AirPort Extreme (802.11a/b/g/n), Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, a single audio in/out port, and a Mini DisplayPort that passes an audio as well as a video signal and supports an external display at 2560x1600. It does not have a Firewire port or IR to support a remote.

Also see:

What are the differences between the White "Mid-2010" MacBook and the White "Late 2009" MacBook that it replaced?
What are the differences between the 13-Inch White "Mid-2010" MacBook and the also 13-Inch "Mid-2010" MacBook Pro and "Mid-2009" MacBook Air models?
is "open" by default, but all info is important.

Expand All Details | Contract All Details

Introduction Date: May 18, 2010 Discontinued Date: February 8, 2012*
Processors: 1 (2 Cores) Architecture: 64-Bit
Geekbench 2 (32): 3340 Geekbench 2 (64): 3646
Geekbench 3 (32): 1308 Geekbench 3 (32): 2172
Geekbench 3 (64): 1419 Geekbench 3 (64): 2376
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (P8600)
Details: The Intel "Core 2 Duo" (P8600) 45 nm "Penryn" processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip.

Also see: How much faster is the "Mid-2010" MacBook than the MacBook it replaced? How fast is it compared to the 13-Inch "Mid-2010" MacBook Pro?
Turbo Boost: N/A Custom Speeds: N/A
Processor Upgrade: Soldered FPU: Integrated
System Bus Speed: 1066 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 2.4 GHz (Built-in)
ROM/Firmware Type: EFI EFI Architecture: 64-Bit
L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 3 MB (on chip)
RAM Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 Min. RAM Speed: 1066 MHz
Details: Supports 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMMs. Also see: How do you upgrade the RAM in the White "Unibody" MacBook? How much RAM of what type does it support?
Standard RAM: 2 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB*
Details: 2 GB of RAM is installed as two 1 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that it actually supports 8 GB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and 16 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" or higher and the latest EFI update.

In the US (and many other countries), site sponsor Other World Computing sells memory -- as well as other upgrades -- for this MacBook.

In Canada, site sponsor The Mac Market sells memory and other upgrades for this MacBook.

In Australia, site sponsor RamCity sells memory and other upgrades for this MacBook.

In Southeast Asia, site sponsor SimplyMac.sg sells memory and other upgrades for this MacBook.

Also see: Actual Max RAM of All G3 & Later Macs.
Motherboard RAM: None RAM Slots: 2
Video Card: GeForce 320M VRAM Type: Integrated
Details: This model has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M that shares memory with the system.
Standard VRAM: 256 MB Maximum VRAM: 256 MB
Built-in Display: 13.3" Widescreen Native Resolution: 1280x800
Details: 13.3" color widescreen TFT active-matrix LED-backlit "glossy" display with a 1280 by 800 native resolution. Apple reports that it also supports "1152 by 720, 1024 by 768, 1024 by 640, 800 by 600, 800 by 500, 720 by 480, and 640 by 480 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; [and] 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio".
2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution: 2560x1600
Details: The maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600.
Standard Hard Drive: 250 GB (5400 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (3 Gb/s)
Details: 320 GB and 500 GB hard drives also were offered via build-to-order for an additional US$50 and US$150, respectively.

Also see: How do you upgrade the hard drive in the White "Unibody" MacBook?

In the US (and many other countries), site sponsor Other World Computing sells storage upgrades for this MacBook.

Also in the US, site sponsor Mission Repair offers professional hard drive replacement and SSD installation as well as other services with a 24 hour turnaround for this MacBook.

In Australia, site sponsor RamCity sells storage upgrades for this MacBook.
Standard Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive" Standard Disk: None
Standard Modem: None Standard Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
Details: N/A
Standard AirPort: 802.11a/b/g/n Standard Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
USB Ports: 2 (2.0) Firewire Ports: None
Expansion Slots: None Expansion Bays: None
Details: No expansion slots or bays provided.
Incl. Keyboard: Full-size Incl. Input: Trackpad (4 Finger)
Case Type: Notebook Form Factor: MacBook (White Unibody)
Apple Order No: MC516LL/A Apple Subfamily: Mid-2010
Apple Model No: A1342 (EMC 2395*) Model ID: MacBook7,1
Details: *Please note that these identifiers often refer to more than one model. In this case, please also note that the EMC number is not externally listed on the notebook so it cannot be used readily for identification.

Also see: All Macs with the A1342 Model Number, the 2395* EMC Number, and the MacBook7,1 Model Identifier.

For more about these identifiers and how to locate them on each Mac, please refer to EveryMac.com's Mac Identification section.
Battery Type: 63.5 W h Li-Poly Battery Life: 10 Hours
Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.6.3 (10D2162) Maximum MacOS: Current*
Minimum Windows: XP SP2 (32-Bit)* Maximum Windows: 7 (64-Bit)*
MacOS 9 Support: None Windows Support: Boot/Virtualization
Details: Also see: Are there any third-party programs to run Mac OS 9/Classic applications on Intel Macs?

Site sponsor OHS specializes in heavily upgraded Macs capable of running both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 applications.

For more on running Windows on Intel Macs, please refer to the exhaustive Windows on Mac Q&A.
Dimensions: 1.08 x 13.00 x 9.12 Avg. Weight: 4.7 lbs (2.13 kg)
Original Price (US): US$999* Est. Current Retail: US$650-US$750
Details: *From July 20, 2011 to February 8, 2012, Apple sold this model new to the education channel for US$899.

Please note that on average the estimated current retail pricing of used systems is updated twice a year (please refer to the date on the bottom of the page for the date last updated).

Photo Credit: Apple, Inc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.