Downgrade possibilities to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ripcrod, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ripcrod macrumors regular

Is it possible to downgrade from OS X El Capitan to OS X Mavericks? I have a MBP Pro Late 2011

2. MJWMac1988, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

MJWMac1988 macrumors member

MJWMac1988

Yes, it's possible, but only if you 1.) previously had Mavericks installed on your MBP Pro, or 2.) you still have a copy of the Mavericks installer saved on an external hard drive or USB flash drive.

If you previously downloaded Mavericks from the App Store and want to download it again, click on the "Purchases" tab in the App Store (top of App Store window). You should find it there (I say "should find it there" because Apple is not very trustworthy anymore).

CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT: You will have to back up or clone your MBP Pro's entire hard drive one last time because you will have to erase that drive in order to be able to (re)install Mavericks. Then you may have to manually carry over all of your backed-up files to your MBP Pro afterwards. I don't know if Time Machine allows a person to "restore" from a newer version of OS X to an older version. I would think that it doesn't allow it. Maybe someone else will know the answer to that. Restoring manually is tedious, but worth it in the long run, if you really want to return to Mavericks. Also, if any of your files or library folders were upgraded by newer versions of the apps you use (because you opened them in Yosemite or El Capitan), those cannot be downgraded. You will have to find older backups of them and then re-add the information or items you added after upgrading to the newer OS. This may make the downgrade unrealistic because it may be really tedious to do this, depending on what files/libraries were upgraded.

If I were you, I would definitely put the Mavericks installer on an external hard drive or USB flash drive (using the free DiskMaker X 5 with the flash drive) before you reinstall it on your MBP Pro, so you don't have to download it again. Apple may someday remove it from the App Store permanently, as they did temporarily a few weeks ago.

3. Ripcrod thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I had installed Mavericks to this MBP. Data isn't an issue. I want to set it up as a fresh one

I will give it a try