Downgrade preview.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Intelligent, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

HOW DO i downgrade to the preview that was used in os x 10.8? i can't resize stuff in preview as i created another tread about, i need to use the functions in the 10.8 preview, if thats not possible to fix i will probably throw away my iphone and all of my macs, and all other electronics and move to the brunei rainforest and eat ants.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Tools > Adjust size...

Damn that was hard to find. Or just use any of the far superior image editing software available for osx like GIMP and use preview as it was intended to preview things.

3. Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I know that that exists but i mean i want to drag it myself, it will be a pain to type in numbers all the time to guess how big it should be.

4. Intelligent, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I don't think you understand what i am trying to do, the only application that i found that i can drag out pasted images etc. is preview,

Pixelmator, Nope
    Photoshop, Nope
    GIMP, Nope
    Mavericks Preview, Nope

----------

Stole this from the apple forums this is what i mean

In previous iterations of OSX (in particular, Lion and Mountain Lion) I could place an image in an iWork application (Preview in this example) and when I resized it, I could stretch an image to whatever proportion I wanted.
    If it was a little too tall, I could reduce image height while leaving horizontal resolution alone.
    If I needed proportional stretching, I could hold Shift and drag, resizing horizontal and vertical resolution proportionally.

The same goes for Preview: if I paste an image on top of another, I used to be able to stretch it to whatever shape/size I needed. Now, I can only stretch proportionally.

Is there a way to disable/modify this?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1683931

5. crjackson2134, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

You can do that in photoshop and possibly GIMP too. In photoshop, select the entire image and then use command+t (free transform). Then just grab a corner of the image and drag it to what ever size you want.

You can also find free transform under the edit menu.

6. Intelligent, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

Intelligent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Thanks, but it will be annoying to open an image in photoshop, edit it then export it. I wish i could just edit the original image.

EDIT:
    21:50 today,figured it out, i can do it with pixelmator 2.0, i have it, since 3.0 requires you too open it and then export, it will not be as nice as doing it with preview but i guess its okay.
    21:50 today

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I have to wonder why a useful feature like that was removed in the firs place. :confused:

8. adamneer macrumors 6502

why do you consider saving changes any different in photoshop than it would be in preview? you wouldn't have to export anything, just file>save as. if this truly seems overly tedious, perhaps you really SHOULD be using photoshop, as you can create custom actions to batch edit tons of photos with 1 click, all while saving them to .jpgs, or .tiffs in a neatly organized folder. If you have access to photoshop or pixelmator, i couldn't imagine why you would prefer to use preview. i actually get frustrated when i accidentally double click a file and it opens in preview while I'm browsing through files. I'm sorry this is not really helpful to your original question, but you might not want to get too attached to any particular feature of Apple software moving forward, as they seem to be on a streak of abruptly changing software functionality, usually resulting in the removal of features. you know what feature i miss? scroll bar arrows. you should be happy that at least you have alternatives to the feature you miss.