Downgrade rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicjoke, Apr 7, 2015.

  1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2011
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #1
    So I have the 15" rMBP 2.5ghz 750m 16gb RAM yadda, but I do most of my heavy lifting these days on my desktop. So, I've got it in my mind that I must have a smaller light weight ultraportable.

    I'd be open to other companies than apple, but I don't really trust that 3rd party support for high PPI displays is up to snuff in Windows (it was a mess when I bootcamped my rMBP, lots of blurry apps)....

    So it seems like my only options are the 13" rmbp and the this new macbook... Well, that's a big boy decision and I'll have to figure it out by myself, but I'm not sure what I should do here...

    I gave my late '11 15" mbp to my partner when I got the haswell retina 15", and he pretty much uses it to check emails and look at porn :eek:... I could either sell my haswell macbook and buy the 13", or I could give my partner my haswell macbok and we could sell his aging sandy bridge one.... Or I could just suck it up and continue to lug around my 15" and use that money for something fun, like some airfare. Or I could just keep both, and have a heavy duty laptop on the occasion I need it and a light weight laptp for traveling, in bed, on the couch, at coffee shops etc...

    Too many decisions... What's most logical course of action?
     
  2. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #2
    A couple weeks ago, I wouldn't have said this, but now ... Stick with Mac + OS X for the time being if proper HiDPI scaling is a requirement.

    I'm currently in the market for a new display (my old Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP is getting long in the tooth) and was researching this topic just last week. Turns out that not even Windows 10 has decent HiDPI scaling (at least not in the tech preview.) It's pretty much the same as it is in Windows 8.1 right now.

    If it were me though, I would wait for a few months, if you can. See if Apple fixes those UI lag issues people are complaining about right now with the new 2015 13". This would mean waiting until, or slightly after, WWDC in June.

    I wouldn't bother with the 12" MB right now. The price is too much for what you're getting, much like when the first gen Air came out.

    But ... different strokes for different folks, so in the end do what makes the most sense for you.
     

Share This Page