Downgrade time to 6.1.4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SpencerUSF, Sep 17, 2013.

1. SpencerUSF macrumors newbie

Forgive me for the (likely stupid) question and situation, but I'm in the process of downgrading from the last iOS 7 beta back to 6.1.4 in anticipation of the release tomorrow so I can update OTA. I did not download the GM although my UDID is registered. I realize that many people have said that downgrading would take a while, but I've been stuck on the screen with the Apple logo and the loading bar for almost an hour now and it doesn't look like anything has moved. iTunes still says "Restoring iPhone software" and it is responsive, however the loading bar at the top hasn't moved in quite some time either.

Am I simply being paranoid and it is supposed to take this long to downgrade without seeing progress, or is something wrong? Can anyone else who has downgraded weigh in on how long the process took them?

I'm using a Sprint 32 GB iPhone 5, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help!

2. ajiuo macrumors 65816

3. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

I am not sure what you asking. But for tomorrow, many websites will likely upload ipsw file in their server and if you do google, you probably will find many. The iPhone 4S GM firmware weighted around 1.2GB, depends on your connection speed, download could take around half an hour or more.

4. SpencerUSF thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I went into DFU mode beforehand. From what I read, this is optional but it doesn't hurt it either way.

Sakura: I am just simply wondering if it is normal for the restore process to take as long as it has so far. It almost seems at this point like it is stuck or something.

5. ajiuo macrumors 65816

For downgrading it is generally not optional.. Was your iphone screen black or did it have a cable picture on it?

6. SpencerUSF thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it was black. iTunes had a message pop up telling me the phone was in recovery mode.

7. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

No. My I updated to GM already. The update process should be fairly quickly. I have not count the update time, but certainly less than 10 minutes (if you update from iTunes, counting downloading the ipsw file, it might be fairly long processes depends on your internet connection.

8. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Also are you holding alt and selecting a downloaded ipsw file for 6.1.4?

It wont work if you try to let itunes download automatically.

----------

K just checking

Black = DFU MODE
    cable = restore mode

9. SpencerUSF thread starter macrumors newbie

Sakura: I understand that. It's not an "update" that is taking a while. All of the updates I did went smoothly. It's downgrading from 7.0 to 6.1.4 that is taking a long time.

And yes, I alt-clicked restore and chose the ipsw file for 6.1.4

----------

Hmmm. I started the downgrade over and everything went way quicker this time. I guess it just hit a snag or something the first time around. Looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for your help guys!

10. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Something is wrong then.

It doesn't take any longer to restore from ios 7 to ios 6 then it does from ios6 to ios 6

I would start over... You should not have an apple logo on your screen for an hour.. Not even close... Hopefully apple hasn't stooped signing.. You should have gotten an error right away..

Also make sure you have the correct ipsw.. If it does it again it might be corrupt.

Is there a loading bar under the apple?

----------

.. But if you want to wait it out... You can try.. Good luck