Downgrade to 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by donaldj, Feb 28, 2008.

1. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

I've always been under the assumption that jailbreaking a touch can brick it. I just learned today that this was a false assuption. So, I began to research jailbreakage. I've seen that all the major JBs require 1.1.3, or below, but I am right now running 1.1.4. Is there any way to downgrade just to 1.1.3 (not lower, I don't wanna lose my mail apps and such*)

Also, what would be the simplest and safest JB method (like... requires the least installed programs and such.)?

THANKS!

-Donald J
    *I know it's silly, because I could just get them free again, but I bought them and want to retain the same apps.

2. tacofreak macrumors member

Ok if you want to downgrade to 1.1.3 just do a search for firmware 1.1.3 download or look in your itunes folder under iPod Software updates.
    But the easiest way to jailbreak is download the iPod touch 1.1.1 firmware (which I can AIM you)

(1) Go to itunes and on your iPod (connected) Hold the lock and the homebutton at the same time.

(2) Once you see that the iPod is not recognized on itunes let go of your lock button but keep holding the home button.

(3) when an error comes up on itunes telling you,you must restore to use the touch

(4) Just click (ok) and then for mac hold alt/option and click restore and then click on the firmware 1.1.1 that you downloaded for windows hold down
    shift.

(5) Once it extracts,applies etc then go on your iPod touch (running 1.1.1) go to safari and enter in the URL box www.jailbreakme.com and scroll to the bottom where it says "Install AppSnapp" click that and it will crash safari and have a spinning thing in the middle.

(6) When you look at your home screen you should see an installer app in blue...now you have jailbroken it and are ready to install apps.

3. alecapple macrumors regular

i am also interested in jailbreaking and am running 1.1.4 if you do go through with the whole process i would like to know hoe you did it and what the outsome is. i could barely afford my iphone in the firstplace, and am nervous about all the stories of bricking and such. anyway let me know what happens.

4. tacofreak macrumors member

alright,if you want to jailbreak 1.1.4 then connect you pod to iTunes then download ZiPhone lastedt version and the press jailbreak and then click start

5. donaldj thread starter macrumors 6502

donaldj

I may try that... I am still unsure however... I just need the varification that no matter what I do to my beloved touch, I will not be left with an iBrick.

Also, has anyone had a 100% success rate with 1.1.4 & ZiPhone on a touch?

6. nascardad32 macrumors newbie

jailbreak with ziphone

i just jailbreaked my 1.1.4 iphone with ziphone but when i went to download custumizer it said i needed 1.1.3 or lower any suggestions?

7. ipodtouchpros macrumors member

ipodtouchpros

8. JAT macrumors 603

JBing cannot brick it. It doesn't affect the bios or whatever they call it in the Touch. So you can always get back into Restore or DFU mode and start over. Now pwnage, OTOH....

Also, 1.1.3 is buggy compared to 1.1.4. And the 1.1.4 JB is real, whereas the 1.1.3 JBs are software hacks. There really would be no reason to go backwards, whether you JB or not.

Ziphone 2.6b might be the best choice, there seem to be many issues with the 3.0 release. I had only one issue with Safari not saving cookies, which has been fixed. Far as I can tell, I have a perfect JBed 1.1.4 Touch. I even put wikipedia on it this week, once I realized just how often I go there.

9. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I did ZiPhone on my 1.1.4 touch. It didn't brick it, but it rendered it useless for a while. It worked, and apps were loaded, but it messed something else up to where it woulnd't play music, videos, or let me view my photos. I restored and haven't had a problem since. No doubt that it doesn't brick, it just might not work like expected. Hope this helps!

10. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I've used both iliberty+ and ziphone 2.6. They both worked but sometimes it froze up during the process but nothing a simple reset can't fix. I would recommend iliberty. If it doesnt work right on your first try just restore and try again.