Downgrade to 7.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mdv2, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Mdv2 macrumors regular

Being completely fed up with the lack of support Apple provides in fixing battery life issues, I have decided to downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS 7. My iPhone 5s is a little over a year old and I feel dependent on battery packs and power sources.

In plain words, iOS 8 is a big pain in the butt unless it is my batter which is dying in a little more than 15 months.

I download iOSc7.1.2 off the internet and backed up my data. Now if I install this version and after that restore my data from iOS8, will I be able to maintain all of my data?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You cannot downgrade the iPhone 5s. You are stuck at whatever version of iOS 8 you are on.

3. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

And why is that? I downloaded 7.1.2 off a website as per the instructions of one youtube video in which one person showed the process of downgrading. So you are saying this is impossible?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because apple has long stopped signing that version. Just because you can download it, doen't mean you can downgrade your phone.

Once you're on iOS8, you're stuck with it.

The phone contacts the apple servers when you try to downgrade, and it won't let you apply the OS.

----------

Try following the steps and see if it works, but so far I've not heard anyone downgrading the iOS8 device.

5. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried that and I do get the notification like you mentioned. Great. I am now stuck with a phone that does not work properly anymore. I wonder how many people actually suffer from battery drain on iOS 8. I suppose few - otherwise Apple would have addressed it by now, wouldn't they :rolleyes:

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Do a clean restore to current firmware (8.1.3), do not restore to backup. Set the phone up again manually.

That will give you the best battery life.

You can restore your content (not settings) using the tabs in iTunes.

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Pervasive battery life problems don't seem to be a thing on iOS 8. Every version of iOS, people complain it messes with their battery life. With the exception of a couple versions that have had consistently verifable battery life issues (that were noted In product reviews and such), it's just been isolated complaints. It's most likely something specific to your configuration. have you tried looking at the battery usage stats in Settings to see what is csusing drain. Have you tried disabling background refresh for apps that don't need it?

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Have you tried a DFU restore and setup the phone as NEW to see if that resolves your issues?

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

If under warranty, go to apple and get a new 5S. Just got my 8.1.2 POS 5S replaced and when they handed me the new one it was on 7.1.2. I literally cannot be any happier as my battery has improved by hours.

My 5S on iOS 8 was beyond horrid.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since original poster didn't mention having AppleCare and the ability to get a warranty replacement, the tone of his post indicates he is likely past warranty coverage.

11. Mdv2, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes you are right - I am past warranty. Did a DFU restore the other day. Let's see how that pans out. Will report back later.

Edit: I bought my phone in the UK, where Apple is obliged to give 6 years of warranty. I may take it back to the Apple store over there and see if I can get a replacement.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

6 years? You'll be lucky getting two!

13. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

England and Wales: 6 years from date of delivery
    Scotland: 5 years from date of delivery
    http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Anyway, my iPhone is only 15 months old.

14. Mdv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't want to be too premature but I just did that the other day and today I have had my phone on for almost 8 hours with 33% left. That's a huge improvement, but only next week I can do some real testing while commuting to work.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

great to hear.