Downgrade to 8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ILowry82, Dec 9, 2014.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

I was looking to downgrade to 8.1 so I could jailbreak. If I downgrade, would I lose all of my Info as iTunes won't be able to restore an 8.1.1 backup on an 8.1 device?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Unfortunately you can't downgrade, as 8.1 is no longer signed by Apple. That said, there is a jailbreak available by TaiG for both 8.1.1 and the new 8.1.2. Further details can be found either in the JB forum here, or on /r/jailbreak over on Reddit.

3. ILowry82 thread starter macrumors regular

The TaiG method doesn't work on Mac from what I understand

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It does if you run Windows in Parallels, VMware, or VirtualBox. I just did it myself tonight; got tired of waiting for a Mac version. LOL It wasn't as bad as I expected, just took a fair bit of time to set up VirtualBox, download Windows 10, and of course, my 2008 MacBook Pro ran slow as molasses during the whole thing. But it worked, and so far this JB is way more stable than the one on 8.1 was for me.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

this could also deter users as well,since not everyone can run a VM (no skill required to do this, can't be bothered installing some OS they will only use once etc) or Virtual Box just for this.

although i think Apple's probably getting to that point by removing "hooks" from the OS, that are required to these apps...

Slowly. but surly.... and it about bloody time.. :D