downgrade to 9.2 fail, sync iphone with 2 computers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by session101, Sep 19, 2011.

1. session101 macrumors regular

hey guys

I want to sync my iphone to two computers, a Macbook and my Windows 7 Desktop. Ive searched and read that i need to downgrade to itunes 9.2.1 to start with after deleting all records and reminences of itunes 10.4

after install and plugging in my iphone to sync and start the process, itunes says that "the Phone "Name" Cannot be used because it requires itunes version 10.1 or later"

so what do i do now? is there a way to sync my iphone to two computers with itunes 10, without having to downgrade? what other steps can i do to get itunes 9.2 to recognize my iphone to sync

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There is no possible way to sync an iOS device with two different libraries. Sorry.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If these are the instructions, then why would you post a topic about it? Wouldn't it have actually worked? Oh wait. They're from 2008. Good luck.

Like I said. Not doable right now.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Apple never intended for these devices to be synced with two computers, and this is primarily because of copyright restrictions from the music industry. It's not supposed to be easy.

The reason you can't downgrade is because you're running a newer version of iOS on your device. The older version of iTunes doesn't know how to talk to it. Things have changed. You also can't downgrade your iOS device.

6. session101 thread starter macrumors regular

i know that apple devices aren't intended to go outside the box... if it really wasn't intended we wouldn't have these forums and if you wanted anything you would just call apple tech support or goto the genius bar for help. someone has to have tried or has found a way to go around apple devices to make them work the way they wanted to

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Well if you find a way I'd be happy to learn about it.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I sync with two computers, I use my Windows PC for everything to do with music, apps etc and use my macbook for syncing photos so syncing to 2 computeres is more than possible

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hahahaha, exactly. To even begin to do this as well, you'd have to downgrade your iPhone software to whatever was out when the 9.2 versions of iTunes was out, considering anything over 4 requires you to have iTunes 10

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This has been possible for a long time, although I'm fairly certain that this is not what the OP was referring to. He wants full syncing freedom across two unique machines, but partial syncing/separation across two machines. I already do this with my Work/Home desktops.

----------

iTunes Version History
    iOS Version History

Looks like it was 3.1.3. Surprising, actually. 9.2 did include the ability to Sync with the iPhone 4, but iTunes 10 came out soon after.

11. session101 thread starter macrumors regular

what IOS are you using and what version of itunes are you using? I basically want the same thing you have, photos/movies on the mac and apps/music on my pc

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You can do that with iTunes 10.4 and iTunes 10.5 Beta on Mac or PC, with iOS 4.2 and up to iOS 5 Beta 7(current as of right now).

Meaning, right now with the latest software.

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

beta 7 itunes and iOS and I've been able to sync to two computers since well my first gen iPod Touch really

just plug in to second computer if it asks about erasing just tick the don't ask again box then click cancel and then tick the photos an movies tabs

14. session101 thread starter macrumors regular

obviously you don't think so unless you would have posted this earlier instead of saying that its impossible

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Actually, I didn't understand that in your OP this is what you wanted to do, so my saying it was impossible was my perspective under that logic. I'll admit that it was wrong, however. Sorry.