"Downgrade" to final 10.11, after being on 10.11.1 beta?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by plexdk, Sep 17, 2015.

1. plexdk macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I Was running the 10.11 GM candidate, but in my tiredness I just pressed yes to update whatever update it prompted me about.. now im on 10.11.1 beta... DOH!

Is it possible to downgrade to 10.11 final GM, when it arrives? Or do I have to do a complete reinstall.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I would guess you still need a full reinstall I order to completely leave beta testing track.

This applies to Windows, and Mac OS X doesn't allow on the ground downgrade, I guess.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You would either need to do a new fresh install or restore from a Time Machine backup to get back to the 10.11 GM Candidate build. There is no other way to downgrade other than to do some sort of restore or clean install from scratch.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Man, that's why I left the OS X beta track. It's such a hassle to get out of it. When they say "only use on secondary device", they mean it. I completely understand how tempting it is, however.

Back up your data to iCloud and perform either a complete reinstall with deleted data or Time Machine back to the release track.

5. patternjake macrumors member

patternjake

6. AaronMT macrumors regular

AaronMT

I opt-ed out of the beta program, how do I hide the 10.11.1 update in the App Store?

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Secondary-click just below the icon, and choose "Hide Update"
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 17.44.43.png

8. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Weird. The update disappeared as expected for me, after opting out of pre-release in system pref.

9. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I signed up for the beta program a few days ago just to get the GM early. When I saw that this update popped up, I opted to leave the beta program altogether. I guess there will not be any more GMs (how would 10.11.1 users downgrade to a new 10.11.0 to upgrade?), so I hope on the 30th I can just download the final bits (if the build if any different, that is), install it over my current installation and be safely back in the "stable channel". Sounds about right?

10. patternjake macrumors member

patternjake

I thought the same thing, because even though the final GM would be out of beta, the 10.11.1 beta would technically be a higher version and thus prevent a downgrade to 10.11 GM, which would mean you are stuck on 10.11.1 until that GM is out, which could be ages.

11. teezy macrumors member

teezy

This is why Time Machine backups are awesomeeeeee... I keep the installers too on another drive

12. knguyench macrumors member

Can't belife with GM have many bugs, can run smoothly.

13. Zedic macrumors newbie

I did the same thing, but was able to just reinstall the GM candidate I had already downloaded when it was released the other day.

14. joeszef1 macrumors member

joeszef1

did apple pulled out 10.11.1 update? It doesn't download from my end.

15. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I was able to install the Yosemite final shipping version right over the top of the Yosemite Public Betas... no need for complete re-install. I don't see why this would be different. UNLESS you install this 10.11.1 update before the shipping version is available.

16. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Yeah, I can second that, it worked like this a year ago. I thought the update to the final bits would come as a delta update for testers, but that didn't happen and I did have to manually "buy" and download the full installer from the App Store, but that's all there was to it.

17. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Go into "system settings" and stop "pre-released software" seeds...done.

18. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Just pulled out of the beta. Don't want to go any further because I'd rather be running the release version when that comes out. Just opted out and the available update disappeared straightaway.

19. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I did this tonight as well, so I am running the GM Candidate and avoiding any future betas. My question is: what happens if the final/public GM build is different from the GM Candidate? Will there be an update released that will put me on the final build?

20. wubsylol macrumors regular

With 7 days until release it's unlikely we'll see another GM candidate.

21. xxjrsmith3xx macrumors member

xxjrsmith3xx

So if I'm at 10.11 thats GM correct i just got my MBPr and i went to their website and got the GM so is this the one that comes out on the 30th that everyone is saying? Thank you.

22. wubsylol macrumors regular

Nobody but Apple can say for sure, but as I said, with 7 days to go until release it seems unlikely we'll see another GM candidate.

23. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

It wouldn't be completely unheard of. Look at what happened with the iOS 9 GM build. The public release last week ended up being a newer build than the one that was released to developers as the GM.

24. xxjrsmith3xx macrumors member

xxjrsmith3xx

Thanks for the info man.

25. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

You should just be able to download the file from the App Store when it gets released and install it. I can't remember if the final release appears as an update, I think you have to use the installer.