Downgrade to iOS 6 from 7 (installed without Dev license at first)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MBX, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

I've got a little problem. I downloaded iOS7 beta 3 and installed it from a non official Developer site. I just wanted to try out but didn't realize you need the dev license or else only a "this device is not registered under Apple developers program" page in iTunes with no options to restore again whatsoever.

See screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/yomJuCF.png

Now my phone is basically a brick. There's no option to factory restore it or anything in iTunes.

It kinda forced me to get the Dev license but it will probably take another 12-24 hrs until it arrives by email.

Thus I was curious is there really no way to downgrade to iOS6 again?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

So you put iOS 7 on without registering your UDID?
    You can easily downgrade to iOS 6.

3. SrgtKickAss macrumors newbie

Putting your phone into DFU mode will let you restore.

4. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

You could've put the phone into dfu mode and clicked restore then it would've restored down to 6.1.x. If you would have bothered to read down this forum or do a google search you would've realized that many people had the same problem and it could be solved with dfu mode.

5. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Connect it to your computer and put it in DFU mode, then restore it.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I downgraded just fine. Did you attempt a DFU restore?

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a bunch guys! Just found a DFU tutorial on Youtube, works! Never used this before but very handy now. I will still get iOS7 beta 3 once my dev license arrives. Hearing it's much more stable than previous ones, so I'm looking forward to test it.

8. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Also, if you already bought the license, you still have to register your UDID before you can run the beta.

Just a note, next time you should probably do a tiny bit more research before you venture into a beta like this :/.

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I assume registering the UDID is a fast process once i get the Dev license, right?

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

11. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yes it is, but I strongly suggest you at least read through the forums and even other websites to acquaint yourself with the beta and at least get a vague idea of what methods to use when something goes wrong.

12. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

OK Aimee I apologize.

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Here you go

14. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Well no, I wasn't seeking an apology, it's just that doing so helps you. Because if you frequent this forum enough, you would see many threads similar to this one because people are afraid that they bricked their phone or somehow made it unusable, when the solution can be found in many places. Like you didn't have to waste 99 dollars on a license, but it's your money and I'm not going to tell you how to use it.

However in the future if you come across problems with this beta, usually the problem has already been discussed on this forum and many people have offered suggestion. And this is just for your information so you know what to expect. And one thing you can't expect is that if there's a problem software or hardware wise, apple won't help you with it because this is a beta and they're not supposed to. So educating yourself on these matters is imperative.

15. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

All good guys. Got my Dev license, iOS7 beta 3 up and running. Very stable, no issues really (except Skype not working yet but I hear update coming soon).