Downgrade to iOS5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robertosh, Sep 21, 2012.

1. robertosh, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I'm very dissapointed with iOS6 in the 4G. First, the update taked hours to complete and later i had to restore cause my itunes match library didn't load. Now i have a lot of problems with it, i can't download apps and updates, when i download an app the icons stays in "waiting..." and don't install. The same with my itunes match library, music don't download. I tried to restart the device and logout in my itunes accout with no success.

The new AppStore is not usable anymore, i hate the new layout and hangs all the time when i use the search function, also with no apps in the background.

So I want to come back to iOS5. I only did backup in the cloud, It is possible to downgrade to iOS5 and then restore the backup from iCloud?

2. samdev macrumors regular

I don't know anything about backing up from iCloud, but if you saved your IPSW file for iOS 5.1.1,
    then you should be able to restore your device back to it. Even if you just installed iOS 6.

And if iTunes deleted it, then just look in your Trash bin (on MacOSX). It should be there.
    If you can't find it, then you'll have to download it again. Just Google for the links.

And if you don't know what a IPSW file is, then Google for that too.

3. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

You have a day or two until Apple stops signing Ios 5.1.1 .

To restore to Ios 5:

Put your Ipod in DFU mode. Restore Ios 5.1.1 from Itunes by holding the option key when clicking restore and select your downloaded Ios 5.1.1 firmare.

DFU mode how to and explaination : http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/25/iphone-101-what-is-dfu-mode-and-whats-the-difference-from-rec/

Ios 5.1.1 Ipod touch 4g direct download from Apple's servers: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4298.20120427.Tzr8w/iPod4,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

In future you should look into saving your SHSH blobs so you can safely update and downgrade between firmwares outside of Apple's tight control.
    This software allows you to do this -> TinyUmbrella
    Official site: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.ie/

4. samdev macrumors regular

Does anybody know if Apple allows exceptions for iOS developers to downgrade at anytime?

Because, I didn't have any trouble doing it with iTunes. Maybe the situation will be different
    for a non-developer.

5. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

From everything I have read, no. I updated to Ios 5.1.1 without realising Xcode 4.2 on snow leopard doesn't have full support for it.

I think they prefer to keep developers on the latest OS's.

6. samdev macrumors regular

Well, I figure that since Apple allows developers to install iOS betas, then Apple should give developers
    a way to get rid of them. So, downgrading should be one way. Upgrading to the latest iOS is not always
    the best solution, especially for me. BTW, there is a "Restore iPod" button, when selecting your device
    in XCode -> Organizer, but that didn't work for me. It just wiped out my device, threw up an error message,
    and opened iTunes.

7. gumblecosby, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

gumblecosby macrumors 6502

I agree with you. They really should allow downgrading for developers. But, I think they are more interested in developers picking up and using the newer API's in the newer Ios's. I've never seen Apple really cater for legacy stuff for very long so it makes sense to force developers to upgrade. The only reason I have an install of 10.8 on an external USB is to run the new Xcode. Other than that, it's 10.6.8 all the way. It's their way to "coerce" developers to move forwards by denying downgrades.

8. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I will try it, thank you ;)

9. Aaron P macrumors newbie

Apple will continue to sign the firmware because they have the ipod touch 3g running 4.2.1 but still you have to downgrade with TinyUmbrella because itunes wont let you do it... im pree sure

10. pepi macrumors member

I have to agree with the poster :mad: My iPOD 4G is just about as sick as it could be. Slow, battery drain, apps crashing THANKS :apple:

11. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Mine isn't that bad but the app store is terrible on iPod touch 4

12. gboymasangkay macrumors newbie

I had ipod touch 4g and i already jailbreak.. How to install cydia to my device?

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

If you updated to iOS 6 there isn't a jailbreak out to consumers. You can however use a tethered jailbreak from Redsnow but it is mainly for developers.

14. jjr74 macrumors newbie

My letter to Apple Support today

To whom it may concern ...
    But it seems likely to me that Apple does not care any more about it's customers and this may well go right away to the trash.

I just read Tim Cook's apology letter about the apps in iOs 6 ... and this is just outrageous.
    While he apologizes for the poor maps app (what an euphemism !) he offers no other way forward than "wait and maybe one day in the distant future we'll make it right".
    To me that is just like writting "Dear Customer, **** you, you'll get the Apple Maps app whether you like it or not."
    I cannot believe that Apple does not even consider giving us back the Google Maps app.

I used to believe that Apple was genuinely trying to make good software but I have just realised that you are actually different from Microsoft. You're willling to shove crappy software down your customers' throat just because you can and because that allows you to prevent access to other companies' better software and to replace it with your own.

I was considering buying further Apple products, or even buying music from iTune, but I now know that for me it will a Samsung Android phone under the Christmas tree.

A once loyal customer