downgrade to Leopard HELP please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markb8705, Sep 2, 2009.

1. markb8705 macrumors newbie

I use a lot of plug ins for music production in Logic. Like an idiot, i upgraded to snow leopard, after having this problem with the upgrade to leopard from tiger. Of course half of my plug ins dont work.

So i Time Machine backed up everything on my HD. I put my old leopard install disc in and restored to my Time Machine volume. It took about 2 and a half hours.

At the end of that, it asks you to restart, and i do and as soon as the apple pops up on the off-white screen, kernel panic and i have to restart. this is never ending

Ive tried repairing and verifying disk permissions from the leopard disc of my HD and still nothing.

My final guess would be to just do a clean install of Leopard and then restore from time machine again. This seems SUPER risky to me as there are TONS of important project session files that i CANT afford to lose.

Everything is backed up on my Time Machine drive, im still just a little nervous about doing this.

Anyone have any other ideas and does this sound like a secure plan?

2. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

instead of just restoring the entire Time Machine backup, you could always browse and selectively restore the files you need through Finder. As long as you don't accidentally format or erase the Time Machine partition, everything will stay in tact.

3. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

If you want the safest route, to preserve your data:

1. Buy an external firewire hard drive that's the same size as the one in your machine.
    2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your system's hard drive to the external one.
    3. Now you can experiment all you want with re-installing or whatever since you've got a perfect block-level copy of your system on the external drive now, in case of emergency.

FYI Personally, I don't trust time machine as a full system back up. Too many people have reported issues with it. It's great to recover a file that was accidentally deleted or something like that, but nothing beats CCC as a full system image backup tool. You can even boot straight off of your CCC backups!

4. markb8705 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no way of looking at the time machine backup.

the only thing i can boot into is the leopard install disc.

i just want to make sure i dont lose all of my data. looking for a little re-assurance here lol

5. markb8705 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll def. give that a look when i get back up and running, but its too late to use that option now

6. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

If Time Machine backed up everything and everything is intact, you can simply clean install Leopard and browse the Time Machine drive after Leopard is installed. If you're not sure if TM backed everything up, then there would be a problem.

7. markb8705 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive never looked at my time machine drive. how is everything set up?

is it all in folders just as my home drive is?

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My suggestion - since you've already attempted to reimage your main HD from the backup, but it just wont boot, launch the Leopard installer from DVD and do an "Archive and Install." It'll replace the OS but leave all the other data on the drive intact. And for peace of mind, disconnect/power off the Time Capsule so there's no chance of damaging the backup it contains.

9. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

when you open the Time Machine drive, it will have a backup folder in there, and inside theres gonna be a bunch of folders labeled with date/time of back up as well as a "latest" folder stating the latest backup. go in one of the backups, and everything is gonna set up just like what you have on home drive. if you need to restore something, just drag and drop the file. pretty straight forward to use and as long as you have the files backed up, you can restore it. just make sure you don't overwrite the stuff before you are absolutely sure that you had everything restored to the way you want it.

10. markb8705 thread starter macrumors newbie

completely forgot about archive and install option, cause disk utility is showing that all my data is on the drive, i just can't boot into it. im going to try this today

thanks for the help

11. 15danielp macrumors regular

So did this work? I'm having a similar problem.