Downgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pellets007, Sep 13, 2009.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm sick of all the Safari crashes. The only thing I do on my MacBook is use the internet. I enjoy the new features, but I'm tired of the hanging and crashing. Can I just pop in the Leopard disk and downgrade, keeping all of my files? Or will I have to backup everything and put the files back on?

EDIT: I did a Mroogle search but most of what I found was on the beta.

2. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

And there's only one link pertinent to my question; is backup through TM the only way?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It basically comes down to a restore of the system (using Time Machine) to sometime prior to upgrading to Snow Leopard or formatting the drive and installing 10.5 cleanly. The latter option will require you to backup your personal information outside of Time Machine as you can't migrate/restore files which were backed up in 10.6 from the 10.5 Time Machine interface to my understanding.

Before putting yourself through this, you've made sure you don't have any non-Apple Safari plug-ins gumming up the works? Updated Flash/Java on your system?

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You're going to reinstall simply because Safari crashes? I suggest you try another web browser like Firefox, Camino, or Shiira.

5. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Well, I backed everything up and reinstalled Snow Leopard (should the crashes persist I will downgrade) after formatting my drive. A slight problem, however. On Time Machine, when I attempt to restore my old User files the dialog prompts "The alias [insert file] could not be found because the original file could not be found." I managed to retrieve my iTunes library but everything else is trashed!

To KingYaba, I previously had Safari 4, Opera 10, and Camino. I use Camino for most Java applications (as Safari doesn't have a maximize button and I'm not installing Glims or that other 3rd-party). Camino does not work with 10.6 without tweaking (which I added the new Java file) and Firefox is just as buggy. Which brings me to say that I do not install non-Apple 3rd parties.

I have backups of both 10.5, predating August 28th, and backups of 10.6 before formatting. The TM backup only reads the backups of May 2nd through April 22nd. I made sure I backed up before formatting. What is wrong here?

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am so lost as to why you are switching as well?

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or just... idk do some trouble shooting? i have had safari crash once since my upgrade to SL. don't see what the problem is.

but i guess congrats on a waste of money

8. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Using Snow Leopard results in multiple Safari crashes per day. I can be opening another tab or moving a tab into a new window and it will crash. Camino usually crashes after several hours of Java. So yes, I am - have - reinstalled Snow Leopard and may or may not downgrade to Leopard if everything continues to crash.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Run it in 32bit mode. (Get info... toggle 32bit 'on').

Also, check which version of Adobe flash your are running. As of this writing it should be: 10.0.32.18

Finally, disable any 3rd party plug-in crap you might have running in Safari.

10. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I've tried 32-bit as well. How do I check my flash player?

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Click the link I provided. :D

12. phixiuz macrumors regular

I'm with you man. Safari crashing on me aswell, A LOT, totally ridiculous and also in other circumstances. I was moving a big ISO file from my HDD to a USB thumbstick, what does Snow Leopard do? Totally freeze, though I can still see the file progress, untill the transfer is done. Like wtf? I had none of these problems under Leopard, Leopard was smooth as silk.

Snow Leopard s-t-i-n-k-s. I can't believe they call this stable.

And I'm definately not the only one, I've heard quite some people now having the exact same problems. I'm using a two weeks old Macbook Pro 13"...