Downgrade to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tomf, Jul 11, 2014.

1. tomf macrumors regular

Hi,

Im looking at buying a macbook pro late 2013 model, with OS Mavericks installed. But I would like to wipe it off and install mountain lion.

Would this be possible?

I have a mbp at the moment with mountain lion 10.8.5 - would i be able to use that somehow?
    I'd prefer to do a fresh install os mountain lion if possible.

Any help would be really appreciated,

thanks

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Macs won't run with anything older than the version that they came with, generally. The KEXTs for model-specific hardware aren't included in versions that were released prior to their launch.

You might be able to make it run- but chances are you wouldn't have Wifi, Bluetooth, working Thunderbolt ports, etc.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It wouldn't even allow you to boot into a Mountain Lion USB installer. If you try holding down Option and selecting a ML USB installer, the Apple icon at startup would change into a Prohibited sign.

4. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

My dad has a 17" MBP 2011, that came with Lion. He restored it to a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of Snow Leopard. It does have some problems, but not a huge deal. I've been trying to get him to upgrade to Mavericks, but never really got up to doing that. I don't know if your computer would work on 10.8, but I don't know why you would want to.