Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluevelvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Hello!

I am new in Mac world .. Just buy my iMac in June 2011 and so far I would like to try SL. My iMac came with Lion pre-installed on it?

my hardware is:
- model:iMac
- model Id: iMac 12,2
- CPU: i5
- freq CPU: 3,1GHz
- nb CPU: 1
- core: 4
- cache level 2: 256kb
- Cache level 3: 6mb
- graphic card: ATI AMD Radeon HD 6970
- video memory: 1024kb
- Rom version: IM121.0047.BID
- version SML: 1.7212
- OS version: Mac OSX 10.7.2 (11C74)

Just read some posts that say we can or cannot install SL... so far Inread a post giving the machines witch can Like the model 12,2 and some not.

To be honest (just to try before buying). I downloaded an image (dmg) of SL 10.6 retail disk.. True or not I don't know. So I toasted it and also restored it on an USB stick.

I voted with opt key and format + partionned the HD then decided to boot first on the optical then from the USB stick. Same error :

"Panic CPU caller ..... Unsupported CPU ....

Question:

is it possible or not possible to install SL ? If yes how to will be for appreciated !
Do I need to buy a original to check if it working ?
do the server version will maybe better working ?

Thk a lot and sorry if the post was already published .. Maybe misunderstanding on my side cause French guy...

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
To install SL, on your model Mac, I believe you must have the latest SL install
disk which is 10.6.6 A work around would be to create a bootable SL partition on an external drive, apply the latest updates, 10.6.8, and clone the drive to you to your internal HD on your computer. You will need an older Mac to create the external drive. Once created, clone to your new Mac. You will then have installed SL.

Bluevelvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Orion27 said that I Probably will need the SL 10.6.6. On Apple store I just saw SL 10.6. So which version is it exactly want I miss .x. I don't have an old Mac so I would like to try an official 10.6.6 but don't know where to get it.

Thk to all !

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
Orion27 said that I Probably will need the SL 10.6.6. On Apple store I just saw SL 10.6. So which version is it exactly want I miss .x. I don't have an old Mac so I would like to try an official 10.6.6 but don't know where to get it.

Thk to all !

I believe the Store says Latest Version SL
Just checked Latest version form Apple Store 10.6.3

Last edited:

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Of what I know, you can not go lower in operating systems than what came with the computer. I am pretty sure snow leopard will not install on a computer that was preinstalled with Lion. Do a search in these forums and you will find your answer. If you don't believe me, call apple and askif you can do what you are asking.

Bluevelvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I believe the Store says Latest Version SL
Just checked Latest version form Apple Store 10.6.3

Of what I know, you can not go lower in operating systems than what came with the computer. I am pretty sure snow leopard will not install on a computer that was preinstalled with Lion. Do a search in these forums and you will find your answer. If you don't believe me, call apple and askif you can do what you are asking.

Yes you right. Just wanted to see how it is after reading some articles about Lion vs snow and what some think about Lion and Snow.
Thk!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I greatly prefer Snow Leopard.

I'm running 10.6.8 on my 15" 2010 MBP, whereas my wife's new 13" MBA came with Lion.

While she was away, I had it for 10 days to use and compare to my MBA. Long story short, while there is nothing wrong with Lion, I simply don't like the influence (look, feel, and some "features") of iOS on a Mac.

It's cluttered, and even when I turned off (via preferences) the features I didn't care for, their were still various bits that one must live with. I really tried to like it, since normally I immediately upgrade to Apple's Latest OS, but in this case I am very disappointed.

It impacts and slows the work flow, in the way I use my Mac.

The only hope at this point, is that as they continue to rev it, perhaps it will become more to my liking.

If not, I will run 10.6.8 for as long as it's practical before succumbing to what's forced on us.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I greatly prefer Snow Leopard.

I'm running 10.6.8 on my 15" 2010 MBP, whereas my wife's new 13" MBA came with Lion.

While she was away, I had it for 10 days to use and compare to my MBA. Long story short, while there is nothing wrong with Lion, I simply don't like the influence (look, feel, and some "features") of iOS on a Mac.

It's cluttered, and even when I turned off (via preferences) the features I didn't care for, their were still various bits that one must live with. I really tried to like it, since normally I immediately upgrade to Apple's Latest OS, but in this case I am very disappointed.

It impacts and slows the work flow, in the way I use my Mac.

The only hope at this point, is that as they continue to rev it, perhaps it will become more to my liking.

If not, I will run 10.6.8 for as long as it's practical before succumbing to what's forced on us.

I'm in the same boat. After claiming in several posts that I was going to leave my MP on Lion because I just didn't care any more I finally gave in and reinstalled Snow Leopard. Man, what a feeling! It's more responsive and not loaded down with a bunch of tablet-like stuff. For a Photoshop user who's not into social media SL is perfect. My MP works like a content creation machine again.

A plug for the Mac Pro, or any other traditional Mac desktop design, is that I have 1TB clone of my complete Lion install, a 1TB clone of my complete SL install and a working 2TB SL installation. I can pop any of the clones into the MP once a month to catch up on email and application updates. Windows 7 is on its own 2TB HD. Love those easily replaced HDs!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
A plug for the Mac Pro, or any other traditional Mac desktop design, is that I have 1TB clone of my complete Lion install, a 1TB clone of my complete SL install and a working 2TB SL installation. I can pop any of the clones into the MP once a month to catch up on email and application updates. Windows 7 is on its own 2TB HD. Love those easily replaced HDs!
Wow, what a great idea. Now you really have me thinking.

First thought that comes to mind is a bit of concern about the future of the Mac Pro...

I sure hope Apple doesn't abandon this model. That would be a true signal which would extend far beyond just the Mac Pro.

I guess time will tell.

Bluevelvet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Impressive what about SL... But very sad that I have to live without cause my iMac isn't compatible... Maybe one day someone wll find a work around. Also tried with VMware but forget it! Only Windows or Linux!

And what about a server version.. Is it possible over Lion or this is too much for home use (what I suppose !).

Not a pro Win but it is much easier to switch from one older or newer release of the OS (in most of situations)...

So still locking for hope..

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Impressive what about SL... But very sad that I have to live without cause my iMac isn't compatible... Maybe one day someone wll find a work around. Also tried with VMware but forget it! Only Windows or Linux!

And what about a server version.. Is it possible over Lion or this is too much for home use (what I suppose !).

Not a pro Win but it is much easier to switch from one older or newer release of the OS (in most of situations)...

So still locking for hope..

All current iMacs should work with Snow Leopard of versions 10.6.6 or later. Borrow your friend's Mac and downgrade using the Target Disk Mode trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.