Downgrade to Yosemite - performance improvement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacSafe, Nov 12, 2016.

1. MacSafe macrumors regular

Hi
    I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro mid 2009 (2.8ghz) with 4 gb of ram, running 10.11.6
    I'm wondering if downgrade to Yosemite will boost performance for this machine?
    Thanks.

(And how to do it without losing data???)

2. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Umm, have you thought about upgrading RAM? and while you're in there, if not done so already, maybe stick an SSD in? If you're still going to use it for a while, it's more worthwhile than downgrading the OS.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

El Capitan runs better with integrated Intel graphics. If you're using discrete GPU there won't be a difference. If you want to boost performance use Mavericks.

4. MacSafe thread starter macrumors regular

I have SSD

It has Nvidia graphics. Ok , how to downgrade without losing data?

5. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I do not know if it will do anything for performance.

However I *can* tell you the steps to downgrade:

1. Back up your computer. Time Machine is good.

2. Create a bootable install disk for the OS X version you want. I recommend using a drive that connects with USB 3 or faster. USB 2 takes forever to copy the files over.

3. Make sure your backup was successful.

4. Boot from your install disk.

5. Use Disk Utility to erase your start-up disk. See why the backup was important?

6. Install the version of OS X you want.

7. Restore your data from your backup. Time Machine makes this easy.

I know this works because I just did it myself a few weeks ago. I backed up my computer, upgraded to Sierra, then immediately realized that some of the programs I rely on (Seil and Karabiner) do not function there.

So I had to erase my laptop and reinstall El Capitan, then restore from Time Machine.

Time Machine does a great job, however I had to reapply my tweaks to the system itself. For instance, I use the folder icons from Yosemite because they look way better than the gaudy newer ones, and Time Machine did not restore them so I had to copy the icons manually again.

Also one or two programs from outside the app store made me re-enter my registration information. Boom for sure, and I think there was something else too.

6. MacSafe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answer!
    Last time I tried I didn't have enough space to use time machine .
    Is there any alternative?

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You can't use Time Machine to back up onto the same physical drive, you need an external to use for your backups.