Downgraded from Leopard to Tiger, Speed up Computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dotdotdot, Apr 13, 2008.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

After some problems with Leopard, including a wireless issue I posted before, as well other factors, I decided to downgrade back to Tiger. I figured I don't really use any of Leopard's features, at all, and that Tiger is more stable and a little faster.

I did an archive and install. The problem is that for some reason, it's incredibly obvious how much slower my computer now is. Maybe it's using Leopard and Tiger's system files, or maybe it needs to be cleaned up, but either way, my newly installed OS is slow.

What should I do to increase the speed of my mac?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. onlyproductions macrumors newbie

what?

I dont understand, did it slow down when u downgraded?

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Back up your files to an external hard drive or something if you can and perform an erase and install, there's likely a conflict going on somewhere with a preference file that you had under Leopard.

5. macdot macrumors 6502

Most people I know (myself included) have seen a speed bump with Leopard--so, yeah, sounds like you have an issue.

As suggest an erase and install solves lots and lots of issues like these.

May want to check your RAM and see if you have X.5's recommended amount.

6. f1 macrumors 6502

Yep just do an erase and install it will be a pain thought to restore your files because you will have to manually back up everything and manually put them back on your tiger system. Usually you could just create a bootable clone and use migration assistant to move things over however migration assistant in Tiger will not work with a Leopard clone :(

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Depends on what computer you have. The Intel Macs have a definite speed-up with leopard, the G4's are ~10% slower and with the G5's it can be hard to notice any speed difference.

I tried going back to Tiger on my G5, but I can't. Maybe its that Leopard is a true 64-bit OS but it just feels better than tiger.

So, since the OP does not have his computer model listed, if he has an Intel then going back to Tiger probably does make it feel slower.