Downgrading 3GS baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AHDuke99, Apr 27, 2010.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I think i already know the question to this question, but it's worth asking. I upgrading my 3GS to OS 4 last week, but it was too unstable and i eventually downgraded back to my jail broken 3.1.2 (my files were saved on the shsh). My baseband is still os 4 though. It seems to be hurting my battery life. Additionally, i wanted to sell it unlocked to a friend soon. Now that my baseband is upgraded, is that impossible until they release an os 4 update now? And is downgrading it impossible?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You knew the answer but I'll confirm it. :)
    It is not possible to downgrade the 3GS baseband once updated.
    And cannot be currently unlocked if its updated officially to 3.1.3 or any 4.0 betas.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Your phone is no longer unlocked.

No way to turn back th BB.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You are the proud (??) owner of baseband 5.13.xx

And you cannot unlock to sell it to your friend. That is why those of us in the jailbreak community never upgrade until new tools are released.

5. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Well, that's a bummer. Hopefully an unlock update will be released sometime soon? I am not selling till the iPhone 4G comes out this summer, because he usually buys my old phone a year after I use it. Is 3.1.3 impossible to unlock or has the devs just not released the method to do it yet?

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure the devs have said that they have an unlock, but they're waiting 'til the new iPhone is released before making the unlock public.

7. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

That's fine then. I was not going to sell it till I had the new phone anyway.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

We are speculating they have an unlock. All we know for sure is that sherif-hashim found an exploit. The hackers have never confirmed they were able to constuct a working unlock.

9. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I'm pretty sure we can assume that they are working on an unlock.

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

We can assume they're working on it, yes. Whether it's anywhere near completion (or will, in fact, ever actually lead to an unlock) is something else entirely.

11. fleeper macrumors 6502

Where do you find your baseband? Is it modem firmware? Mine reads 05.12.01.

I have version 3.1.3 on my phone. Can it be unlocked and JB'ed if it has this baseband and version combo?

fleeper

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have 5.12.01 as a baseband. You can't unlock. You can jailbreak only if you have a 3G.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thank you.

You know it's the same posters, over and over, who make assumptions about what jailbreak and/or unlock tools they just know are going to be released.

Facts are facts, speculation is speculation.

We shall likely see early in June as WWDC has now been announced to begin June 7th (come on firmware 4.0 and 4th generation iPhone :))

14. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Never said it was complete, just saying we can assume their working on it.

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They've said a number of times to wait 'til the summer for an unlock... to me that suggests that they either have one or are actively working on one. I think it's a safe bet that there will be one shortly after the new iPhone launch.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Actually, I will disagree with you. The only reference to an unlock by any reputable hacker group was the DevTeam which simply said they were given an exploit which looked promising, but to remember an exploit is a long way from a working unlock.

I do alot of reading and I can't remember a hacker group actually saying wait for summer for an unlock. :rolleyes:

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

The proceess is harder

processes is harder then people think 1st find a exploit try to work it to a stable tool to make it run. hopefully in a Unlock comes out soon after, but sometimes those are much tougher. then you have to figure out what apps are stable with the new firmware in the Cydia store. when you have a big update like 4.0 you can bet many apps will be unstable with 4.0. most likely it will take several months after 4.0 is released to get stale jb/ul software. everybody thinks as soon as a jb comes out they are home free that's is only the beginning.

18. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I wouldn't say months.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

ok

I stand corrected many hours! I'm sure no matter what it is many will many will say not fast enough!

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

http://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/11683699357 While he doesn't specifically give out a timeframe, MuscleNerd does say there will be an unlock. Notice that he doesn't mention that it's just an exploit that they're hoping will work. That implies pretty strongly that they've successfully unlocked a phone on that baseband.

http://twitter.com/sherif_hashim/status/13015041417 - While sherif_hashim isn't a part of the devteam, I'd consider him to be fairly reliable, and he seems fairly certain that there will be an unlock released around the time OS4.0 is released. He's posted other tweets similar to that. Since he's the one who found the AT command, I'm sure he's had some correspondence with the devteam on the issue

All in all, I'd still say it's a safe bet that there will be an unlock this summer. If you still don't agree, we can agree to disagree. No need to roll your eyes IMO, I'm not using a complete lack of logic.

21. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Major Respect Man.

22. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786