Downgrading entire OS with time machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mephist0, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Mephist0 macrumors newbie

Mephist0

Hi pals
    If I back up my mavericks rMBP with time machine, and then upgrade to yosemite, when I restore the time machine's back up in yosemite, will it downgrade entirely to mavericks or it only restore the apps and data files and still remains in yosemite???

Thanks

2. arnabdas macrumors newbie

same question. I own a MacBook air. Can I actually downgrade to Mountain Lion if I have a time machine backup of the entire OS on Mountain Lion? After updating to Yosemite that is.

3. dannyg86 macrumors regular

dannyg86

You would install Mountain Lion from scratch, then when the install is complete the setup screen will give you the option to restore from your time machine backup (restoring your apps, files, settings etc)

Hope this helps (and my memory is correct ;) )

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes to both. You just option key boot to the TM disk That gets you to a recovery screen. From there use Disk Utility to erase the entire internal disk. Then quit Disk Util and click restore. You will be able to pick a restore date in a screen like the one below. Just pick a date that corresponds with your last backup on the old OS version and continue with the restore. That will put the OS and everything else back on the disk like it was on that backup date.

[​IMG]

5. dannyg86 macrumors regular

dannyg86

I just got schooled! I've been going about this procedure the long winded way for years it seems... Lol.

Thanks for posting the correct way of doing this :)