downgrading from 10.4 to 10.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dadio2002, Jun 26, 2007.

1. dadio2002 macrumors regular

dadio2002

I have a g5 power mac with 10.4 on it and I would like to downgrade to 10.3 for a couple various reasons. Is there a special way to do this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can't do it without a complete reinstall. Also, the machine will not let you install a version of the OS onto it that predates the Mac. So, if your Mac came with Tiger then it will not allow you to install Panther. :eek:

3. dadio2002 thread starter macrumors regular

dadio2002

So your saying the only way is to make a copy of my harddrive then wipe the g5 out with clean install? If I do that, all my install apps are running with tiger. that will mess anything up I drag over to panther or cause any other potential problems

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. It's probably best to reinstall the apps manually in order to avoid any hassles later on. Do you have another drive you could install Panther on? That might be simpler and safer.

5. dadio2002 thread starter macrumors regular

dadio2002

I mgoing to give the archive and install feature a try see where that takes me.

6. BlackDan macrumors 6502

that only works if you are UPGRADING...

7. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Seriously, I would just install panther on another cheap drive. Especially since you have a powermac. You never know when you will need a backup.

8. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Why don't you want to upgrade to Leopard? It will be out in a few months and will be a better upgrade than a downgrade of Panther.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

The OP's asking about how to downgrade to Panther, not whether or not he/she should upgrade to Leopard. :rolleyes:

It's possible to do an archive and install in order to downgrade from Tiger to Panther according to this, but there might be some annoying complications. It's probably best to backup your documents and other files and then do an erase and install.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? Maybe we can help with Tiger...

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Actually you can run a previous OS but you'd have to use another machine to install it to an external drive (but you can't run Panther on Intel - obviously). For example I have an old Panther install on a Firewire drive (that was created with my PowerBook G4) and I am able to boot a newer G5 (dual 2.3 that only came with Tiger) into 10.3, I was pretty surprised it works though.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Depends on the machine; some will allow you to install a version older than what it included. For example, I was able to install Panther using Mini restore disks on a G4 Mini which originally included Tiger. This was without the help of a third machine.

13. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

I am so happy I kept Googling for answers. I won't embarrass myself by telling you the round about way I was going to down grade to Panther from Tiger, but I will say, you've helped me get out of the box. One can really dig deep during a think alone.

Many appreciations.

Patt:D

14. moonislune macrumors regular

While definitely not the "supported way" to do so, you can also hook up your G5 in target mode, delete the System folder, and install from there. It should give you the option to install on your old drive in "upgrade" mode. Just be sure when installing to use the same username as you used in Tiger. YMMV, but it always works for me. Make sure and backup b4 doing anything!