Downgrading from 3.0 Beta2 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PartisanEntity, Apr 14, 2009.

1. PartisanEntity macrumors member

Hello all,

For those of you who have both upgraded and downgraded, I have a couple questions.

First of all I used these instructions to downgrade.

1) After having completed the downgrade (including jailbreaking) I went ahead and tried to restore to my 2.2.1 backup. However upon doing that, the phone did not have any network and when rebooted was back in restore mode.

Has anyone else experienced that?

2) Now I have a downgraded and jailbroken phone. If I restore again to 2.2.1 will I have to jailbreak again to avoid restore mode? Or does restore mode only apply to the initial downgrade from 3.0 Beta2?

I am a bit confused as to how long the "locked in restore mode" issue applies. Does it apply until 3.0 is officially released and I upgrade to it?

3) Last but not least, if for some reason my 2.2.1 backup is corrupted as a whole, can I get any data out of it? I mean can I cut out any app data backups from my old 2.2.1 backup?

As it stands now, I think that if I were to restore my downgraded, jailbroken 2.2.1 iPhone to my 2.2.1 backup the phone would lose network and be in restore mode every time I reboot.

Perhaps I have misunderstood some points, hence the questions.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Gizmodo is making it too complicated. What I did was just followed the steps all the way up until the error. I then used pwnage tool and made a custom 2.2.1 firmware. Put that on the iPhone. It was then jailbroken. All I did next was restore from a previous 2.2.1 backup and it was back to normal, although the baseband remains upgraded but this caused no problems.

I have downgraded a 2G and a 3G, although the 3G is no back to 3.0b2 because of its more stable environment.