Downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0.1 on 3GS - Device isn't eligible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Roflcopterrr, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Roflcopterrr macrumors member

I upgraded to 3.1 and I want to go back to 3.0.1 for cydia, but I'm having a small problem.. Even with the iPhone in DFU mode, holding alt+shift, clicking restore, and selecting the 3.0.1 ipsw, iTunes 9 tells me that my device isn't eligible. Any thoughts as to why?

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

I'm not sure it's possible to downgrade. You could get iTunes 8, although I'm not sure how you would downgrade from iTunes 9 to iTunes 8. Even if you did it still may not be possible to downgrade. Can I also ask why you upgraded in the first place? Besides they'll probably come out with a jailbreak for 3.1 soon.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I'm pretty sure I just read on the homepage of macrumors that you cannot downgrade from 3.1 to anything lower.

The only way I could see to try other than what you already said is to get iTunes 8 installed on another pc or in vmware and then do a full restore from that using the 3.0.1 ipsw.
    Failing that I think you just 'bricked' your iPhone in terms of jailbreaking until an update from the dev team is released. :( that would suck, so I hope you can downgrade.

4. soffy1986 macrumors newbie

same problem

i have the same problem...
    please, has anyone a solution??