Downgrading from 4.0...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Centurey, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Centurey macrumors newbie

Yeah, stupid question, how do I do it? Can't figure out any way that seems to work.
    I'm trying to get it to 3.1.3, I have a 2G. 4.0 is just too slow for some reason, and it's not what I expected, and I don't want to wait for a jailbreak.

Thanks.

2. nickk2 macrumors member

It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't possible. Apparently, it can't be done using firmware 3.1.3. You can only downgrade to firmware 3.1.2.

1) Put your iPod 2G into DFU mode. You do this by holding the power button and the home button until your display turns off. Then release the power button, but keep holding the home button.

If your iPod is plugged in, itunes will then beep and tell you that your iPod is in recovery mode.

2) From there, you need to get the iPod touch 2G 3.1.2 firmware. Search for that, it's easy to find.

3) In iTunes, Option + Click on [Restore] (Mac); Shift + Click on [Restore] (PC). Select the 3.1.2 firmware.

That should do it. One thing I had done, that may make a difference, though I don't think so, is blocking the apple server so that you might be able to get the update past. If the above steps don't work, do this in addition to them:

4) Open up terminal and type: "cd /etc" followed by "sudo vi hosts".

5) Your hosts file will now open up in terminal. Type the letter i so that you can then edit the hosts file. Navigate to the bottom of the file with your arrow keys. On a new line in the file, type: "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" (without quotes).

6) Press Escape, followed by Shift + Z + Z.

Good luck. Apple really dumped us iPod Touch users in a ditch with iOS4, because it's some of the most laggy garbage I've ever used.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

The word should really be out there for all 2G Touch users NOT to upgrade. You can do just as much (and more) with a jailbroken 3.1.2 firmware.

4. nickk2 macrumors member

No joke. It's not even usable. I would bet anything that Apple barely tested the OS on any 2G models, but rather just pushed out an update that was simply a stripped down version of an operating system designed for faster hardware.

It's sad that Apple can't even support a product that some of us have only had for a year or so.

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Tell me about it. Praise God that the dev team watches over all.

6. Lowqtus macrumors newbie

Newest iTunes 9.2.1.4 succesfully upgrades iPod Touch 2G to iOS4

Don't know if anyone has checked lately, but when I saw a new iTunes update I decided to give the iOS4 upgrade another shot.
    Newest version I saw came out today July 22, v9.2.1.4

I have an iPod Touch 2G that did not successfully upgrade with the last iTunes version. Apps would not install. Had to manually downgrade to Touch v3.1.2 of the firmware.

This time the upgrade went without a hitch. I think they fixed the install issue and the OS runs very fast and slick. Have not had it long enough to know if battery issues are a problem.

I read in some other post that disabling email pushes will help with battery drains.
    Hope this helps.:D

7. Centurey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.
    EDIT: it's not working. I have my hosts folder all set up, but it says my ipod isnt eligible or something.

8. UkMacFan macrumors newbie

Getting exactly the same thing! :mad: Beginning to annoy me now, must be something to do with the new iTunes version??

9. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I couldn't get it to work as I hadn't previously purchased 3.xxx. Mine was from 2.2.1 and I was able to get that downgrade to work without having the server checking version issues, etc. Used DFU mode and the firmware from the felixbrun site...all good now. Sadly, now afraid to update anything apple related due to this nonsense.

10. Kafluke macrumors member

To the OP and any others trying to downgrade, I'm going to type this up as simple and as plain as I can so all can understand.

You can downgrade to a specific firmware ONLY if you have shsh blobs on file.

4.0 -> 3.1.2 Successful = (you have blobs on file on Cydia's server)
    4.0 -> 3.1.2 Unsuccessful with 3194 error = (you don't have shsh blobs on file, therefore you CANNOT downgrade)

The same applies to 3.1.3 and other firmwares. If you are running into problems downgrading and you are following all steps exactly as written up then you most likely did not save your shsh blobs DURING THE TIME THAT APPLE WAS SIGNING THEM.

Back when you Jailbroke your ipod or iphones for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and logged into Cydia for the first time you would have seen an option that says "make my life easier". If you clicked on that option then Cydia saved your SHSH blobs for that firmware that you were running on his own server. When you go to downgrade and you put in a new server in your hosts file, what you are actually doing is telling itunes to look on Cydia's server to authenticate the firmware that you are trying to downgrade to. If he has your blobs on file then everything goes okay and you don't notice any problems. If he doesn't have your blobs on file (you never clicked "make my life easier) then you get errors and will be UNABLE to downgrade to that firmware.

What most people don't realize is that this all happens in the background. So to the average user it either works, or they get errors and they come looking for answers on here. I was in that boat just a few weeks ago. In the end, it won't matter what firmware you download from what site and what guide you follow, you either have your shsh blobs on file and can downgrade or you don't have them on file and you'll get errors. Pure and simple.

A good way to know if you have SHSH blobs on file is to open Cydia and check the top of the screen. It should say something like "Cydia has SHSH blobs on file for this device on 4.0" or something like that.
    Another good way is to download TinyUmbrella. I believe that tells you also what Cydia has on file for you device.