downgrading from 5.1 (b3) to 5.0.1? is it possible?

dongwe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Hallo guys,

i made a terrible mistake...

my closest friend has a developer account and add my UDID to his devices list.

So i upgraded to 5.1 (now beta 3).

But i'm a fan (and supporter) of the jb community, and i would like to downgrade to 5.0.1

I read on apple developer's page that a device with 5.1 can NOT be restored to early version of firmware.

So if i put my 4s in DFU and i try to restore with 5.0.1 i will fail?

isn't there a method to downgrade?

thx help guys!

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I restored a couple days ago..... the only thing that does not work is the backup file from 5.1.

You need to use an older version or set up as new.

Hallo guys,
So if i put my 4s in DFU and i try to restore with 5.0.1 i will fail?

isn't there a method to downgrade?

thx help guys!

Comment

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
try it you should be able to since 5.0.1 is still being signed.
What he said. I'm in the same boat and was able to downgrade.

On a slightly related note, I think blobs are still useless at this point, but I'd highly recommend using Tiny Umbrella and backing them up anyway. They might become usable again down the road should you find yourself in a similar situation.

Happy jail breaking!

Comment

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i also came off of b3. a little off topic but does anyone think siri was much better at understanding in b3 than on 5.0.1? i thought it was near flawless with understanding me.

Comment

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
What he said. I'm in the same boat and was able to downgrade.

On a slightly related note, I think blobs are still useless at this point, but I'd highly recommend using Tiny Umbrella and backing them up anyway. They might become usable again down the road should you find yourself in a similar situation.

Happy jail breaking!
Good advice. Even if you can't use them now, you should still back them up.

OT, but I absolutely love your screen name! West Wing is my favorite show of all time and I've got every season on DVD...lol. I still go back and watch it from time to time.

Cheers!

Comment

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
i also came off of b3. a little off topic but does anyone think siri was much better at understanding in b3 than on 5.0.1? i thought it was near flawless with understanding me.
I haven't noticed much of a change in Siri's performance. Granted, I only asked her a few questions to make sure she still worked.

Good advice. Even if you can't use them now, you should still back them up.

OT, but I absolutely love your screen name! West Wing is my favorite show of all time and I've got every season on DVD...lol. I still go back and watch it from time to time.

Cheers!
Better to have them just in case. The devs pulled off this jailbreak, so who knows if they'll make the blobs useful again?

OT, yeah Toby was my favorite character. And since I seem to channel him most days, it seemed appropriate!

Comment