Downgrading from 8.3 to 8.X.X

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wonkeed, Jun 8, 2015.

1. wonkeed macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Like many of you here, and many 6+ users in general, 8.3 brought with it some heavy battery drainage, along with other bugs and such. Out of today's announcements the main one I was hoping for was 8.4 being released immediately after the keynote in hopes of upgrading to it and (also) hoping that the battery drain issue would be fixed with it.
    Of course we now know that isn't the case (the release date at least) as the predictions of 8.4 being pushed back to June 30th have been realized.
    I really can't deal with the drainage any longer and want to downgrade. I once thought I needed to calibrate my battery so I actually did that, but of course, to no avail. This is my first iPhone and I've gotta admit, whatever version I initially had on my Plus was amazing contrary to many accounts I've seen here; for me at least, everything worked without a hitch and the battery life was superb.

I've searched and searched and searched and eventually came to the conclusion that the only way I can downgrade to a lower version are through: https://ipsw.me/ with instructions from
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/downgr...roblem-update-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-433654.
    Before I attempt this I just want to get a consensus from the rest of the MacRumors community on the mentioned method's effectiveness and safety. Feel free to list any alternative methods, I'm all ears.
    Also, does anyone know exactly which initial version of iOS 8 were shipped with the new iPhones? Might be a stupid question (simply iOS '8' would be a possible 'duh' answer), but I think by the time I ultimately got mine it was late December/early January, I'm thinking maybe 8.1.2?

Thanks.

2. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

It is my understanding that since Apple is no longer signing anything prior to 8.3, a downgrade at this point is no longer an option. I'm sure someone will correct me if I've misunderstood something along the line, but it appears you're unfortunately out of luck downgrade-wise.

3. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

Apple does not support downgrading, but I suppose someone has figured out how to do it. I wouldn't want to risk it.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Nobody has figured it out. There is no way to downgrade from 8.3.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

No downgrade is possible. 8.3 or newer are your only options. iOS won't install unless it is being "signed" by Apple and there was a brief window just after 8.3 was released when 8.2 was still being signed. That window is now closed and 8.2 is not being signed any more, nor is any earlier version of iOS for the iPhone 4S or newer.