Downgrading from a Mac Pro to a Macbook...Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arcsbite, Oct 18, 2008.

1. arcsbite Guest

I finished my college course about a year ago, I did interactive media and I currently own an 8 core mac pro, it's running 12GB of Ram and the 8800GT with dual 24" monitors.
    The thing is, I have fallen in love with the new aluminum macbook.

I now work in a computer free environment, I don't edit video anymore, I have found myself using my pro to do basic things like internet browsing, light photoshop, heavy HD download (for playback elsewhere) and other basics.

I am seriously considering getting rid of the Pro and just getting the macbook.
    it just feels unnatural to give up so much power.
    I know I could still hook the mcbook upto one of the monitors for more screen space, but dropping from 8x2.8Ghz to 2x2.0Ghz and 12gb to 3gb of Ram feels like I won't be able to cope.

so, am I crazy? or is it a sane decision?

2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Well... if you don't need the power, that won't count against choosing a MacBook then, will it! The benfits are portability + design. So in your case, it's a Win-Win situation to go for the MacBook. If you don't need portability, go for a decent iMac, as they have a good kick to them.

You don't want to sell me your Mac Pro do you? As I'm after one, and I'm stuck between a 4 core or 8 core model! :D

Dan

3. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

I think you will miss the power very soon.
    Beside the CPU and your RAM you will see a big difference between your fast 3,5 HDD and the slower 2,5 HDD (not sure about SSD).

A Macbook with 13,3 Display, 9800M Nvidia and Intel Extreme SSD would be a dream (with Firewire of course :) )

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No you aren't crazy. It's a tool and you don't need it any more so get something more appropriate and recoup a large portion of you initial outlay before used Mac Pro prices start dropping in the new year. It's not like you are going to be sitting around waiting for the processor with the tasks you listed on the macbook.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    It's all about what you need. I love the new MB, but priced out came to almost 2K, so I went for a BMB refurb, that (according to coconut battery) was only 2 weeks old.:eek: (some refurb). It was for my wife who could care less, so we saved the 1K. As much as I love the new MB, I am currently in lust (not love)
    with the 15" MBP, (for the first time ever) especially with the 2.8 processor.
    I know I'll never be able to tear myself away from my first Mac, my refurb 2.2 BMB.(btw, that was 3 weeks old when I got that) right after the 2.4's came out.
    Apparently, right after new ones are released, is the time to get a new in a cardboard box refurb. How awesome is that? In the end, get what you want whenever it suits you. ENJOY!

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

You could drop down to a macbook pro instead of a macbook, atleast the graphics wouldn't be AS much of a drop and you'd have a bit more power.... but it's really just a preference. THe question is, how did you do interactive media and now work in a computer free environment? What do you do now, or do you just do your work at work and not at home?

Anyway.. upgrade to 4gb of ram, not 3 and swap in a 7200 rpm drive or a solid state and you won't feel as much of a difference as you would otherwise, you should be able to get major buckage for the mac pro, so a quality portable upgrade wouldn't be so difficult.

2.4 macbook pro and 4gb aftermarket and a solid state or crazy harddrive and that would be a bit less of a shock.

7. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Get the new Macbook Pro. That way you get a balance of power and portability.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The tasks you are using your computer now for would be handled easily by a MacBook. I don't see the logic in getting Pro if you're not going to use the GPU.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

MBP's are not needed by 90% of the people that buy them. Its a lot
    like why people need 300 or 400 hp in cars to go between lights.
    Its a spec and consumer game and people with the cash want the better
    machine, whether it makes sense or not.

MB's make even more sense now with the gap narrowed.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You will notice a decrease in speed, I'd keep it if I were you.

11. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Think I'm gonna see if I can re-coup some cash on my pro and max out a MB, was gonna go for the MBP but I prefer the smaller size and I game on consoles so not too worried about graphics.
    plus with the extra cash if I miss my desktop I can get a small iMac too for my office.

I took the course as I used to love it, I still do, but only work for me, working so deadlines spoiled it for me.
    I now work for a local dog shelter doing behavioral training for dogs in need of re-homing.....a different vocation but I love it so much I don't see myself leaving any time soon.

12. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I would sell the MP and get the MB, and use the difference to buy a couple shares of aapl.

13. redmeister macrumors 6502

if you arent using all the pro has to offer then sell it. you could then pick up a macbook and the 24' cinema display they designed specifically for those notebooks. that way you've got more screen real estate too. sounds like exactly what ya want

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Sell

In a year or two its gonna lose a ton of value the macbook a few hundred:apple: You probley wont notice a differnce with what your doing as long as you go for the 2.4 model and you can get 4GB of ram not 3Gb:D

15. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Thanks for the help guys.

I came to compromise. I just sold my Pro on ebay for £2000.
    I used half to order a macbook with applecare and the free nano

and the other half I bought a used quad 2.66Ghz Pro (£800)

so technically the best of both worlds and I still have a couple of hundred quid in the bank.

at least now if the macbook isn't powerful enough I have the pro, and if it is I can re-sell the pro :F=D