iPhone Downgrading from iOS 7 and back up isn't working

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jackgetback, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jackgetback macrumors newbie

Please help...
    I downgraded from iOS 7 by putting my phone in recovery mode and just hitting restore which put it back to iOS 6.1.4 but when i hit restore from back up it is saying the software on the phone is too old. Is there anything i can do to get it back on there. I only have this one back up!

Jack :)

2. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Why have you downgraded? surely you need it to test your apps that you are developing on?
    (tongue firmly pressed in cheek)

3. jackgetback thread starter macrumors newbie

Now i've got a backup in the preferences page but the 'restore from backup' option is greyed out???

4. TomH TX macrumors regular

You can NOT use a backup created with ios7 on an ios6 device.
    PLEASE tell me that you made a backup before you made the jump to ios7.
    IF so, you can shift click, or option click, on the restore button in itunes while your phone is in dfu mode, and it should show you a short list of your backups. Choose the one for the correct device, before you updated to 7.

5. jackgetback thread starter macrumors newbie

I made the back up before I upgraded but I have an awful feeling it may have been overwritten while it was on iOS 7 as when I opened the info page in text edit it said 7.0
    This is bad news right?

----------

I made the back up before I upgraded but I have an awful feeling it may have been overwritten while it was on iOS 7 as when I opened the info page in text edit it said 7.0
    This is bad news right?

6. HabSonic macrumors regular

7. NickfromWI macrumors newbie

NickfromWI

I'm gonna try something...

Same situation here. I was running iOS7, my camera broke (internal lens failure- not software related) but I brought it in to the genius bar, they just handed me a new phone. Came home, hooked it up to iTunes to restore from the backup I did last night, and I got

"The backup cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old."

I'm gonna try to do another udid activation just like I did to get me to ios7 the first time around, then once I'm up to the NEWEST iOS, THEN try the restore and see how it goes.

And for all y'all that wanna chastise us NON-developers: can it. We get it. You're better than us. We get it.

Now let's get on with the tech support and helping.

love
    nick

8. Miloh, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

Miloh macrumors newbie

Even if you have a backup you have to put the phone into DFU mode and restore from an iOS 6 ipsw. You'll have to download the ipsw from Apple beforehand.

Manually select the file by holding Shift+ click restore on Windows or Option + Click restore for OS X. An Open file dialog box will appear, find the iOS 6 ipsw file and restore from that.

If you did overwrite the old backups with something from iOS 7, its gone. Just set up as a new phone.