Downgrading from iPhone 4 to iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mjaco002, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mjaco002 macrumors member

So i upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 in late July, after that in early August I decided to give my unused iPhone 4 to my friend as gift. I did however activate the iPhone 4 but gave the phone without the activated Sim

Since then I continued using the iPhone 3GS but I had to Jailbreak and Unlock the phone. Currently I am tried of waiting for Jail breaks and waiting a month or so later for unlocking the phone. Because of this I am unable to use/try the latest version of the iOS.

How can I ask AT&T to reactive my iPhone 3GS without me loosing the Unlimited Data Plan, and/or without AT&T asking me to return the iPhone 4???

Really appreciate your help!!!

Thanks

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

They won't take the phone back. Just call them up or go into an ATT Corp store and ask them.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am confused by your query. If you activated the SIM with the IP4 then your data plan was associated with the Micro SIM. If you got an adapter and using the Micro SIM in the 3GS then not sure why you would need to unlock the phone, and what exactly do you need to do with ATT now.

I am missing something here.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, same here.
    I doesnt make much sense.
    You dont need to JB or unlock to use any AT&T simcards on a US iphone.
    If you old simcard on the 3GS deactivated you can use the microsim that you took out of the i4 and get a microsim adapter to use it on your 3GS or any other cellphone.

5. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Even though i use the micro sim...My iPhone 3GS is locked to the Sim I previously had and will not allow me to use the mirco sim...And Hence I had to unlock the phone...

See my post before...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=949003&highlight=

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no iphone locked to the sim.
    You're using a US iphone with an AT&T sim right?
    I dont know where you get this but its incorrect.
    Do you have a microsim adapter to use the microsim in the 3GS? you dont have to unlock a US iphone to use any ATT sim.

7. rrandyy macrumors 6502

If you are in the U.S. and are still using AT&T, just go to an AT&T store and tell them exactly what you did. They will say "okay" and fix any problem that you have. The won't extend your contract, take the iphone 4 back or anything else. Most likely, they'll just move your service to a different sim card that you can just pop into your 3GS.

8. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks will speak with AT&T and get the new sim card.

9. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am using a US iPhone with AT&T sim...I do have micro sim adapter as well...I tried using the mirco sim before the unlocking the phone, but it would not register and hence I had to unlock the phone...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=949003&highlight=

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not sure where you got that quote from, but it's just not true. I have a 1st gen iPhone, a 3GS and an iPhone 4. I can swap the iPhone 4s microsim among them with no problems at all.

11. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting...Are they all/any Jailbroken or Unlocked?

12. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

if you have a iphone that is locked to at&t network then you should most certainly take it back to at&t. logically it should never happen.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make any sense.
    Your case is the only one I ever heard with a US iphone not accepting an AT&T sim and it needs unlocking.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You were given bad advice on the other forum. You can freely swop ATT sims on any locked iphone that is sold by ATT. So many people even borrow sims from their friends to activate their phones.

Your problem seems to be that the transfer was never done from the old SIM to the new Micro SIM. The fact is that the old 3GS sim would have stopped working immediately if the account had been properly transferred to the new SIM.