Downgrading from iPhoto 09 to iPhoto 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

So I tried upgrading today from 09 to 11 via the App Store. It failed miserably. It did not recognize the photo library. So I backed up iPhoto from Time Machine to before the purchase of 11. Goodbye $15.
    Two months ago, I took my iMac (Al, 2.4GHz, 24", late 2007 model) to the Apple Store for repairs. It got a new hard drive and logic board. The Apple Store also upgraded my iLife 08 to iLife 09. I've had problems with iPhoto ever since. I can import photos to it, but the new photos don't show up in my desktop or screen saver, which use my iPhoto library.
    I really want to go back iPhoto 08. Can this be done from 09? Will I keep my photo library intact?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Usually, when you have a program like iPhoto rev X that uses a database (your library), and you upgrade to rev x+1 the database is changed via using it with rev x+1 and will no longer be readable with revision X. Applications will almost always be able to read databases from the previous version, but not necessarily from the next version. You'd need a backup of the iPhoto 08 library and then some way to trash iPhoto 9 and replace it with iPhoto 8.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thank you, old-wiz.
    I think I'll avoid future hassles and just leave well enough alone with 09.
    Morod

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

A semi-happy ending

iPhoto 11 doesn't work for me and I will try downloading it again. But I asked Apple nicely for a refund on the purchase price and they are going to do it. So all I'm out is some time and frustration. Thanks, Apple.