Downgrading From Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vio0633, Jan 11, 2012.

1. vio0633 macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand new 15" Quad Core MBP with Lion OS 10.7 installed on it. Is their anyway to downgrade the OS down to 10.6.8? The new lion OS is glitchy and has issues with some of the software I use. It worked perfectly on SL so I would like to revert back to it if possible. I do have an older boot disc from my C2D Macbook Pro but I think its outdated for all of the drivers. Any help is appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have another Mac, do a Clean Install of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto that, run all the updates and then, if the Mac has Firewire, use Target Disk Mode to connect the new MBP to the older Mac and clone the 10.6.8 OS onto the new MBP via CarbonCopyCloner.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is their anyway maybe I can burn a boot disc from another Mac running 10.6.8 and boot my MBP from it? Will all the drivers and everything work right when I revert back? Online at the apple website it says it's only compatible with lion...but other people have downgraded with success.

4. simsaladimbamba

You mean, you want to clone the OS onto a DVD? The OS is bigger than a DVD has capacity for it.
    Or do you mean creating an installation DVD? If so, no.

>> >> >>

5. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea...i was just cirious if anyone with a late 2011 MBP successfully downgraded to SL.

I'm just confused on exactly how I can revert back without a disc. I have an old grey disc from my other laptop that is gone with SL on it but it's preety old and I don't think it will work.

6. simsaladimbamba

So the method I described earlier is not viable?
    Even before cloning you could just try too boot from the other Mac running the latest 10.6 version to test it.

But I guess, you don't have Firewire on that older Mac.

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I have helped my friends to downgrade their late-2011 MBPs and can confirm that SL does work on them.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

That's upgrade not downgrade.

9. simsaladimbamba

Technically it is a downgrade, but I guess you mean Snow Leopard being an upgrade to Lion, just like XP to Vista. Or am I wrong?

10. vio0633, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the thread I found from someone who used a 10.6.7 disc they got somewhere online. I will try and see if I can find one. But this is the way I'm looking into downgrading. All he did from the sounds of it is boot up with the disc installed, install SL on his machine, and then do system update to get up to 10.6.8.

Im just not digging lion right now. Its making some of my music programs run really slow. Graphic wise, things look jerky and not as smooth. SL didn't have any hiccups when I had it on my C2D machine.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1275346

11. cariocap macrumors member

Is it possible to use my old Macbook white (firewire 400) to downgrade my Late 2001 MBP (firewire 800) ?
    What firewire cable do I need ? 800/400 9x6 ?

12. simsaladimbamba

Yes, for Target Disk Mode you need a Firewire 6-pin to 9-pin cable to do the downgrade.
    Also have a look at the link the OP provided above you.

[​IMG]

13. cariocap macrumors member

Perfect, thanks

14. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

Just thought I'd pipe up here and say two things:

1. Cool advice on downgrading a new Apple! I had also heard that this was "impossible". Good to know it's actually not. At least in some cases. Good replies here.

2. I've been using Lion since it came out. I've really given it a dedicated effort--I intended to stick with it and get used to it, "Natural" scrolling and all. And there are some things here and there that I think are better and which I appreciate. But, on the whole, I've come to dislike Lion and to long for SL. I miss many things from SL, such as the old address book, fractional volume control, not having to deal with the new way of handling documents, etc. And I have run into a number of problems and minor annoyances with Lion. Every time I start up Safari, I have to wait a stupid amount of time for it to be ready for me. And groups I change in address book don't register with Mail. It's crazy. I have to make an entirely new group with a NEW name. That works. But if I then delete the old group and rename the new group the same as the old group, no dice, it grabs some old version of the distribution list. And I could go on. So, I say, bye bye Lion. I'll wait until 10.8--if I can--to upgrade again.

15. DefLegend84 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm having trouble downgrading to SL.

I have a MBP 7,1 and have recently upgraded to lion without realizing my copy of protools is incompatible, so i decided to reinstall SL (from the retail disks) but after booting from the install disk and selecting the language i get an error saying "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

Any ideas?

Thanks

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I believe MBP7,1 is the 2010 MacBook Pro, and its oldest supported Mac OS X version is 10.6.3. Make sure your retail disk is not the 10.6.0 one, because that is not supported. Of course, if you have another Mac, you can always do the Target Disk Mode trick.

17. DefLegend84 macrumors newbie

Just checked my disk is the 10.6.3 one... Sadly i don't have another Mac nor do i have access to one currently

18. parbar macrumors newbie

Couple questions about cloning in Target Disk Mode.

1. Do I just clone the 10.6.8 System folder in the older Mac? Nothing else needs to be cloned?

2. Do I overwrite the System folder in the Lion MBP...or? And is that all I overwrite?

19. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I tried to load 10.6.7 and all I got was a spinning beach ball and a gray screen. It looked like it wanted to load SL but it turned itself off after trying for so long.

20. simsaladimbamba

You delete the Mac OS X partition on the Mac with Lion, then clone from a 10.6.8 source.

Have you tried with 10.6.8?

21. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't. Im not sure where I can find that version. I was hoping to get up and running with 10.6.7 and then do a software update to 10.6.8. I partitioned a section of my drive that is blank hoping I could install SL on one and Lion on the other.

22. simsaladimbamba

If you already have 10.6.7 installed, either run Software Update to update to 10.6.8 or use http://support.apple.com/downloads to download the 10.6.8 update and install that. Or is that not possible?

23. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie

No its not. For some reason, I can't even get to 10.6.7 or 8. Apple sent me a white disc as well labeled "10.6.1 Update" today but it didn't work either.

24. simsaladimbamba

25. vio0633 thread starter macrumors newbie