"Downgrading" From Penryn MB to 2.16 CD MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjohn_98, May 4, 2008.

1. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

As you can see from the title, I am "downgrading" from a new Penryn MacBook to an older CoreDuo MacBook Pro, mainly for its graphics capability and the fact that I can make a bit of money out of the swap to help pay bills.

What kind of performance decrease (if any) will I see in regards to boot time and general system performance? Also, any widespread issues with this particular model of MacBook Pro? The one I purchased still has 1 year of AppleCare left on it, just in case something happens.

FYI: I generally use the MacBook in clamshell mode connected to a 22" LCD.

System Info:

2.16 CoreDuo MacBook Pro
    2gb System RAM
    256mb VRAM
    250gb HD

2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook
    4gb System RAM
    250gb HD

Thanks!

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

swap one mb ram stick with one of the mbp to max out the ram at 3gb. After that you won't notice much of a performance decrease with most tasks, and you'll still have the greater 3d ability of the x1600.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You won't notice much of a difference for mundane tasks.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think you mean Core2Duo on the 2.16, right? That's the speed I have. I can't believe you'll notice much of a difference. I've got 2GB of RAM and can't max it out with 6 big apps running. The only reason I could think of the 2.4 would be faster is doing something like HandBrake. That's the one app I have noticed responds really well to CPU speed.

5. adamjohn_98 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help so far guys; I wish it was a Core2Duo, I believe this model was the last CoreDuo model produced, part number MA601LL from May 2006.

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Yeah, there was a top-of-the-line CD 2.16, then Apple switched to the 2.16 baseline C2D