Downgrading From SL to Leopard w/out installing apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adlos, Oct 26, 2009.

1. adlos macrumors newbie

After I bought and installed Snow Leopard, I realized some of the most important apps that I use do not work under the new OS and I've been waiting for weeks (months maybe) for some update from the developers but seeing as they are more likely to wait, I've decided to downgrade back to Leopard again, the thing is that I'm on a VERY tight schedule these weeks, I have a lot of deadlines to meet and I don't want to install the apps that do work on Snow Leopard back again in Leopard. I don't have a Time Machine backup from back when I was on Leopard, and I haven't even made one of SL either, just an external HHD with my data (but no apps).

I've read online that people are having a hard time downgrading because there are a lot of errors in Time Machine and Migration Assistant, the most common one I've read about is that the Migration Assistant does not allow you to migrate from a newer OS to an old one. Since the most important thing I wanna migrate are the applications I've already installed in SL, this would be counterproductive. Is there a solution to this? Any advice?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Unless someone wants to correct me, I think the best thing to try is an Archive & Install of Leopard. And it wouldn't hurt to make a backup. No time like the present.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Try partitioning your hard drive and installing Leopard on the second partition, keeping SL in the first partition. Booting into the Leopard partition, the SL partition will be visible on your desktop. You could then try running the apps that are on the SL partition. When updates come through, you can update them on the SL partition, until you can move back permanently to it. I have no guarantee that this will work though, but at the very least, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

Can the partition that OS X resides on be resized with out adverse affects?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You shouldn't have any issues with resizing a volume. It's a good idea to verify it using Disk Utility first, and make sure you have a backup, but I've never run into any problems.