Downgrading iPhone 3G to 1.1.4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjbryce, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

a) Can it be done
    b) Would it void the warranty (UK)
    c) What would I lose in terms of functionality

TIA

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

You probably will loose functionality of your GPS chip.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You probably won't be able to use 3G.
    You WON'T be able to use GPS.
    You WON'T have the App Store.
    You WON'T have push email.

Why do you want to do this?

4. JWages macrumors regular

You'd be better off selling your 3G and buying the original.

5. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Luckily, that's not an issue for me:)

What I need to be able to do is pair the damned phone with my car ('04 BMW E60) so I can make/receive calls and use the address book properly. I spend a lot of time in the car and swapping the SIM into my "old" HTC Tytn II, which works perfectly, is becoming rather tiresome. Apparently O2 will not give me a second SIM so I can dial-a-swap between phones - they used to do this - I have a mate with a Porsche who had a second SIM he kept slotted in to his car and he just dialled a number on the "active" phone to swap between them.

I've seen rumours elsewhere that a 3G downgraded to 1.1.4 will let soklve the pairing/transfer problems and I wondered what else I'd lose and/or what other risks I run?

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

1) That'd be a showstopper
    2) That's not an issue for me
    3) That's not an issue for me
    4) That might be a problem for me

Oh, well, sit on hands and wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for Apple/BMW to solve this via software updates.:D

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Keep hounding BMW's ass :D

Then BMW will bug apple.

9. gkerr4 macrumors member

It still won't do what you want anyway as my understanding is that 1.1.4 only supports basic 'headset' profile and not remote SIM services. (same as 2.0.1)

sorry mate - one of the major ommisions of the iPhone (IMO) - the dumbed down nanny-state bluetooth stack

10. gkerr4 macrumors member

oh and also - I don't think they will EVER fix this - they could have done it ages ago as bluetooth stacks aren't exactly difficult (nearly every other phone on the market has this capability!) - they have clearly chosen to reduce the bluetooth capabilities on the iPhone - so don't hold your breath onthis getting resolved.

11. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Indeed:), I'm a regular contributor to the first thread you list. I am hounding Apple and BMW and set up the survey mentioned in the BMW thread to gather data to, perhaps, help them.

Apple moderated (deleted) my post mentioning the survey on their discussion forums and have been absolutely silent on this issue. In fact Apple's moderation of my posts (none of which were less polite than this one) has been Draconian to the point where I'm almost put off dealing with Apple as a company - they seem to moderate or delete any post which points out problems. One post I made was deleted because it mentioned the rumour that 2.1 might be available in September and that I hoped that it would resolve this issue!

BMW GB have at least sent me a polite email the gist of which is "BMW Germany are working on it, don't hold your breath and it's really Apple's fault"

Apple really have made a boo-boo here and BMWs are not the only cars affected by the poor BT implementation, it seems that there are manifold problems with almost every make.

12. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Agree about the BT stack - this really is something that Apple have badly cocked-up and seriously misjudged.

However iPhone 2G with 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 worked fully with BMWs (after some tinkering with WiFi I think even 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 worked reasonably well).

It also seems almost impossible to deduce (from the data I have anyway) what's going on with iPhone 3G and firmware 2.0 or 2.0.1: some BMWs work fine with full connectivity, steering wheel/voice operation and contact transfer to iDrive, some work partially, some don't work at all (the same is true for most other car makes) BUT looking at the data it is unpredictable as to which model/year/software level/equipment level will work and won't work. It does appear from the (limited) data I have so far that of two exact same BMW models (year, equipment, software, hardware) one will work fine and the other won't. Go figure:)

13. gkerr4 macrumors member

any pointers on how to do this - I can't get it to work with my '05 E46M3 for love nor money!!

14. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

None whatsoever - that's the problem. So far this issue seems sporadic and unpredictable. The only thing we do know is that it's widepread:(

Have you filled in the survey I've set up here