Downgrading iPhone 4 from 4.0.1 to 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by csmitty, Jul 15, 2010.

1. csmitty macrumors regular

Ok, bear with me here. I'm used to the good ol days with the 3G. This is mainly just practice since i've never done a downgrade like this before and its pretty insignificant update so figured it'd be a good one to practice on.

I've got my shsh's locally with TU for 4.0. I then up'd to 4.0.1. So now I got the TU TSS server running. It appears TU added the server addy to my host file as there is 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com there at the bottom. Now since TU has to the option to kick out of recovery, I put the phone into recovery, however when I option click restore, and select the 4.0 FW it says its incompatible. (NM, I just downloaded another 3,1_4.0 and it took that one) So its going now. However since it seems Apple is still signing 4.0 since I was able to get the shsh blobs not too long ago that its really not ever necessary (right now) to have the TSS server running. I guess I could have shut off my internet connection. Looking at the TU window it says recieving blob request, then says something went wrong, now a java.util line. Any thoughts?

Annnnnnnyways. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And you updated to 4.0.1 why ? and now want to downgrade within hours why ?

I doubt very many have done this yet, so you may have to wait for a solution, but who knows.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What is your question? You got an error message when trying to restore using your locally-cached SHSH? What was the error message?

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

From what I got out of it he upgraded so he could practice downgrading... Being as how apple is still signing it would be easy enough to do without TU but he wants the experience..

5. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, thats pretty much the only reason why. I'm used to being able just pick whatever one you want and going. And since 4.0.1 is pretty pointless and I thought all you needed was the .shsh you were good. However the restore does appear to be hung up.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Like thelatinist said it would be a lot of help if we knew what error it gave.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Threads like this where people say "it didn't work" and expect us to diagnose their problem telepathically are not good for my blood pressure.

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

The Dev team should get the one armed man from Arrested Development to do a skit where his arm flies off, concluding "and thats why you never upgrade."

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Wait, you don't have telepathic abilities. I'm disapointed in you Latinist :D

10. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Well it was in TU where it said something went wrong, and then did a long java line. So. I dunno. Didn't take a screen shot either. Eventually just did a full restore and it went to 4.0, but thats probably because apple is still signing.

But does the logic seem sound as to the process?

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

And you didn't think maybe the error message might be important? This thread is completely pointless.

12. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Well that wasn't really the point of the thread so how can it be pointless? It was more of an observation along the way.

But anyways, here it is.

[​IMG]

13. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Wouldn't it have been easier to save said blobs to Cydia, unless he did and I missed that??

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Cydia does not support the iPhone 4. TinyUmbrella is the only option.

15. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

You need a drink, lol!

16. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was is he trying to save it locally, as in on his PC/Mac. Or is he using TineUmbrella to save his blobs to Saurik's server?

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Saurik's server does not support the iPhone 4. Semaphore says it's actually saving SHSHs for people who use Cydia, but Saurik is not at all sure that they will even work. TinyUmbrella and local storage is the only way reliable way to save your iPhone 4 SHSH.

I do. I am getting frustrated with this "genius" spreading FUD and nonsense all over the board. He seriously needs to lurk for a while and learn what Apple doesn't teach its employees.

18. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

You can, but right now its it doesn't matter since there's no JB. Plus I prefer to keep things locally if possible. What if tomorrow saurik decides, meh, and shuts the lights off? Doubtful, but you never know.

19. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Completely my bad, I misread and didn't realize it was an Iphone 4 he was talking about. Excuse me for that one.

20. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Lol how do you get away with it, yet I'm an *******?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, that was news to me.
    How come Cydia doesnt collect the SHSH's for iphone 4 models?
    He said that they wont work?
    So its not the same thing as 3GS models? Its a more complicated firmware verification process?
    How would saving them locally make any difference than storing them on his server?
    Thanks for the info bro.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, it's the same reason that Umbrella had to be updated repeatedly to get the iPhone 4 SHSH to work: new hardware means a new format for the SHSH. Saurik's got all kinds of work on his plate getting Mobile Substrate and Cydia working for the 3GS, etc. I imagine he doesn't feel getting iPhone 4 support built into the Cydia server is a priority, since the iPhone 4 cannot even be jailbroken yet. I understand he's done the initial implementation but hasn't thoroughly tested and makes no guarantees.

23. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

haha, welcome to the fickleness of the internetz:D

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see.
    I cant imagine how busy he is with tons of stuff going on at the same time in the iphone JB scene.
    You think with the SHSH's saved locally thru TM we will be able to downgrade iphone 4's like 3GS models or it will be more complicated?

25. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

That was my impression, and since I had a 3G instead of 3GS I was unfamiliar with the SHSH's downgrade process. It seemed to hang during the recovery process so had to do a full restore and itunes just set it to 4.0. I assumed since Apple was still signing 4.0.

I did notice during the 4.0.1 upgrade there is no option to only download software, it automatically installs. Once you hit install obviously :)