Downgrading IPT, as well as SDK questions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mbrellisford, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mbrellisford macrumors member

I am interested in purchasing the new 32G iPod Touch. I have a couple questions before I buy though.

Since I already have the extra applications from buying it now, if I decide to jailbreak it (where I have to downgrade), will this affect trying to upgrade back to the original 1.1.3 if it messes up. Will it recognize that I bought it WITH the new apps, so it won't say I need to purchase an upgrade?

Also, when the SDK is released, will many of the current jailbroken applications become quickly available or will jailbreaking be the only way t access certain apps? Im hoping that I buy it and receive it in time for the SDK, I'm just wondering how "smoothly" the jailbroken to SDK released apps will be.

Thanks in advance!

2. mekopolis macrumors regular

sdk

on the sdk,

i am pretty certain that certain jailbroken applications that dont infringe upon copyright or Apple/AT&T revenue will be available, but things like NES and Playstation Roms, or Skype will not be allowed to be distributed through itunes because they conflict with Apple's intended business model

3. mbrellisford thread starter macrumors member

So after the SDK is released, most will still keep their iPod jailbroken? Also, do you think applications will be "unofficially" released (not through iTunes), that may break certain apple guidelines?

4. mekopolis macrumors regular

no one except apple and those who have the SDK in their hands know exactly how the distribution will work, many think the applications will be bought/downloaded and installed via itunes, much like the January update occurred...

as to whether it can be broken, i believe almost everything can be reversed engineered and broken, just look at how fast the iphone was jailbroken.....so i can imagine hackers either building their own application distributing software that artificially signs the apps, so the iphone/touch believe it came from itunes...

so there will be those who will still jailbreak, and those who go legit and operate within the system, and i can imagine a new form of jailbreaking may emerge, thus like i mentioned above...

the iphone is an amazing product, and what apple doesn't cover, the jalibreaking community will fill the holes and quite possibly offer more

nonetheless i am still excited to see what the SDK will bring