Downgrading issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicpanda, Sep 11, 2011.

1. cosmicpanda macrumors newbie

tl;dr my computer is doing stupid **** it didn't 3 months ago, wont boot from external hdd or dvd with os x snow leopard installer

Hello all

After getting fed up with OS X Lion on my 2010 MacBook Pro I finally decided to downgrade back to Snow Leopard, except it's like my laptop doesn't really want me to.

I downloaded a vanilla dmg of 10.6.3 just like the one on my now-unreadable original install disc and made an install partition on an external hard drive and burned it to a dvd. Both are recognized in the boot select menu, but the booting stalls when loading the drivers for the system.

In the case of the external disk, this seems to be because the drive loses power. The activity light goes off and the drive spins down in the first second of booting.

The disc spins at full revolutions longer and does not stop immediately, but the booting stalls in the same place as with the external drive. It does spin down, but I can't distinguish whether it spins at 1x speed or is still. Either way, this is not the behavior I recall from installing Lion off of my external hard drive three months ago, or from clean installing snow leopard multiple times over the last year off of the vanilla disks.

Any insight and help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Call Apple and get replacements of your original disks or take it to Apple and have them do it.

3. cosmicpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Will a reseller do it? I'm in Moscow for the next year, best thing they have round here are authorized resellers

4. realitystops macrumors regular

realitystops

Possible solution

Hello,

I have had similar problems in the past (bad operator) ;-)

How important is the stuff on your HD?
    Can you gate a new HD from a reseller - cheaply, or have you one on in external drive that you can swap out - or
    Can you use the dmg. straight to the external and then swap it, move your stuff over after the swap?

Hope some of that makes bait of sense.

RStop

PS - a reseller should have the tools/knowledge to sort this quite easily you feel its beyond you - good luck

5. cosmicpanda, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

cosmicpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

I've made a TM backup on another external disk, so the contents of my built-in hdd are expendable if that's what you're on about

6. cosmicpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what the screen displays when the boot stalls

Attached Files: