Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The 10.6.3 restore disk will boot a 2010 iMac — I have one and have done this. You will need the internal SuperDrive or a USB external drive to boot from it. Insert the drive, shut down. Boot while pressing the C key, You cab also Option-boot and select the CD/DVD drive.

You can use iTunes to create a boot drive from the image. If you need a copy of the image, message me.

riker01

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
I have a mid 10 iMac. Trying to downgrade from Lion 10.7.5 to snow leopard. Or create a bootable snow leopard disc. I have a original snow leopard disc 10.6.3. I only want to use this so I can use my FCP Studio ll & CS 6.5 programs. Not to browse or anything else. I do not have another old mac to do target. I am hoping you may be able to help. I should mention that I have High Sierra on the internal and using disk maker I created my Lion bootable hard drive, which I was hoping I could download from. Been trying to figure it out for 6 months, but no luck. Lol! Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thank you.

Mac2021

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2021
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I had to go through this recently so wanted to share my experience for anyone out there who may need to do the same. I won’t go into reasons for doing this, suffice to say sometimes you have to run a studio or lab using equipment that’s just not compatible with newer hardware or OS and is either prohibitively expensive or simply impossible to replace. That being said the iMac I worked won’t be connected to internet, and I would never recommend connecting an older machine that’s not patchable to the web. And yes it's very possible even in 2021 to perform the downgrade, although it's probably not for the feint of heart. This was done on a mid-2011 12,2 iMac.

Step 1, find the install media and make a bootable USB image
You might be able to borrow install media, buy it or find it on the internet, each has its own caveats. A popular archive org site maybe helpful in researching a 10.6.7 iso image. Downloading an image from wild has its own risks so it's preferable to locate the original DVD image.

To make bootable USB, I followed similar steps to here, essentially using Restore function within Disk utility

https://business.tutsplus.com/tutor...e-usb-drive-with-os-x-snow-leopard--cms-21491

For whatever reason this only worked on 10.13 and not on my more up to date mac.

Step 2, ensure install media will work with your mac
Back in the day Apple used to match install media (DVDs) to the type of Mac. So if you obtained an image that’s for a macbook pro and made a USB install media, it likely won’t work on an iMac. There are many tutorials out there to help with this problem (OSinstall.mpkg), even a very popular retro computing YouTuber The 8-bit Guy has a video that may be helpful.

Steps 1&2 really worked better on older versions of MacOS (10.13, 10.11) probably due to security restrictions on 10.15. There is probably a way around it, I just found it easier to try on an older mac and discover that it just worked.

Step 3, erase 10.13 completely from the iMac (including restore partitions)
The 10.6.7 installer doesn’t like the restore partition from 10.13 that would persist even after you format the drive using disk utility before you start the install. You can easily make a bootable USB GParted image and use it to remove ALL (efi, restore, main) partitions from all the hard drives and format them with HFS+ format.

https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

Step 4, Install 10.6.7 and upgrade
Boot the iMac using the USB image made in steps 1&2 and use disk utility to format the drive yet again and then proceeded to install. Update the system to 10.6.8.

I hope I’m not causing trouble posting this information here. These iMacs are still incredibly capable machines and they have no problem running older equipment that would likely land up in a landfill without the capability to run on older versions of OS. Good luck!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I like the idea of using a 10.6.7 boot image since that works with everything from 2008–2011.

Any idea where to find that image? My 10.6.4 iMac restore CD does not work on many other 2011 Macs.

I sold my 2011 iMac about a month ago after putting it to Mavericks per my customer's request so I don't know I'll ever need that disk again but I like to be able to help people out when they are in need.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I like the idea of using a 10.6.7 boot image since that works with everything from 2008–2011.

Any idea where to find that image? My 10.6.4 iMac restore CD does not work on many other 2011 Macs.

I sold my 2011 iMac about a month ago after putting it to Mavericks per my customer's request so I don't know I'll ever need that disk again but I like to be able to help people out when they are in need.
Hmmm... Sorry I can't send it to you, but I keep a couple of drives full of separate partitions each with a different OS X install. I have from 10.4 up to 10.11, and a couple of hacked 10.12 and 10.13 installs for my old equipment which don't officially support 10.12 and 10.13. For some of the installs, I also have multiple versions, precisely because earlier versions of the OS may not work some equipment. ie. 10.7 doesn't work with some Macs, but 10.7.5 does. I also have the install images for both 10.13 and 10.13.6 for example. Below is one of the drives (gold icons), connected to my iMac. That reminds me, I should probably make a backup of this since this drive is really old now.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 8.15.48 PM.png

I don't have 10.14 and 10.15 backup installs mainly because doing direct copies to a new machine of such of an install has become more complicated. In some situations it might just be easier to make the install from an installer pkg, of which I also have kept backups from about 10.8 on, plus some of the updates. In addition, I also keep copies of certain software versions (eg. browsers) that are compatible with particular OS versions.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 8.24.46 PM.png

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I would just use online source.
Proteting my data by downloading, installing on wiped-out disks.

Nice. Did you run a malware check on it once downloaded? Just wondering.

Too bad. I help out many here by sending OS installer files. I have the 10.6.1 retail for which I paid the $29 and 10.6.4 2011 iMac Restore images.
Yeah sorry, I just don't want to get in trouble. But @Nguyen Duc Hieu has a better solution anyway. :)

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Mac2021

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2021
I second the archive.org download link shared up here, i didn't find any issues with it. Bear in mind that it is for a macbook pro and it won't work for an iMac right off the bat. You'll have to modify OSinstall.mpkg once you restore it to a USB key to add other Macs or simply remove some of script parts to make a universal image that works on any mac compatible with that version of the OS. Similar process to this:

Reactions: B S Magnet

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Nice. Did you run a malware check on it once downloaded? Just wondering.

Yeah sorry, I just don't want to get in trouble. But @Nguyen Duc Hieu has a better solution anyway. :)

No I didn't. It's kind of hit and miss.

I have been hitted by various kinds of virus and malwares recently, but it wouldn't be a problem for me on those experimental machines. I would just repartition (wipe out) the disks and re-install everything from scratch. Because they are all personal stuffs and I already have cloud back-up for important data.

My workplace laptop, on the contrary, is 100% disk-level encrypted because of the company security policy.
So there are nothing to worry about in my personal case.

If one is worrying about virus and malwares, I would just suggest him to purchase anti malware, anti software for securing. My windows home NAS run both types eventhough I only store movies and personal photoes on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.