Downgrading my phone: Companion Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gamoe, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Gamoe macrumors regular

So I'm downgrading from a low-end Android phone with a 5MP camera to a "feature phone" with a very low-quality, low-resolution camera. I'm doing this to take advantage of a much lower monthly cell phone plan.

However, I don't want to lose the ability to snap decent pics or use apps. I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch, except that its camera is not much better. I was also thinking of getting a tablet, but I can't fit that in my pocket, and most of them don't have great cameras anyway. So what would you guys suggest as a replacement/companion?

2. Gamoe thread starter macrumors regular

I guess this is just too-obscure a problem for a good solution. It's a between-the-cracks kind of issue. I was tempted to ask for a good PDA, but those fell to smart phones and iPods, it seems. A good PMP, perhaps? Which a decent camera? Oh, forget it...

3. Gamoe thread starter macrumors regular

After more searching, the closest thing I found was the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-G70CWY/XAA

Basically it's Samsung's answer to the iPod Touch, albeit with a better camera and GPS. It actually looks very nice, but alas the camera is a measly 3.2MP. Why don't they put 5MP or higher-resolution cameras in these things? I guess I'll wait till Apple updates the iPod Touch and we'll see.