Downgrading - Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjamin Black, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Benjamin Black macrumors member

Since I purchased my iPhone I have found myself carrying around my MBP C2D less and less. It's very liberating having access to mobile internet and email in a package small enough to fit in my pocket. I am also no longer doing much design work and I really only find myself using the MBP for the basics - Interent, Storage, and the occasional movie. However, the iPhone is not meant as a computer replacement (obviously) and even though I am not using it as much, it seems like a computer is necessary in this day and age for a million reasons - not least of which being that it's the only way to store and sync a large music and video library with the ever-handy iPhone.

So I've been debating the best way to go about downgrading my computer situation and getting the best bang for my limited computer needs at present, and I have all but talked myself into the following: Sell MacBook Pro, replace with a Mac Mini connected to a new large screen LCD television (just in time for football season!). Sounds reasonable enough, but I thought I'd get a second opinion (or 25-50).

So tell me... will I regret this? Will the limited power on the Mac Mini drive me nuts when I do use the computer for something more than a DVD player? Is this a good start to a home media solution? Does the Mini "up-convert" DVDs? or will movie playback on a 1080P 40" screen look terrible? Anyone currently have a set-up like this who can give me some real-world feedback?

Thanks.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

First off, attaching a computer to a TV is generally a bad idea due to the great difference in DPI between a monitor and a TV. Secondly, you'll feel kinda weird with the downgrade in power. My old MacBook was fine for a lot of things, but it got really hot any time I'd begin to use it intensely (thus the MBP!)... keep in mind the Mac Mini < MacBook < MacBook Pro. I don't really recommend a downgrade for you though, it doesn't quite seem like the right thing to do.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Dont try to make your tv and computer as one, it never works (unless the computer serves as a media center doing only video and music). It may sound like the Jetsons but its just not practical and will be a huge pain in the ass. Keep your computer as a computer and your tv as a tv. TV's and reading dont mix.

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I think what you are suggesting does not sound like the best way to go.

Perhaps, sell the macbook pro and buy a macbook along with an Apple TV?

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

If portability is no longer a need, but mac mini might be too weak, why don't you go for an iMac? I don't think there's a point of paying the premium for portability, which is why I wouldn't recommend a macbook. You get a bigger screen, hd, more room for ram, better GPU with the iMac. You can always pick up an Apple TV later on if you need it. Look in the refurb store for some good deals.

6. Benjamin Black thread starter macrumors member

I don't currently have a TV, so it just seemed like a good way to keep the basic functionality of a computer around and add screen size for video. The 24" iMac looks great, but that is really too small for a general purpose video set-up. It sounds like no one really likes or can recommend the Mini however.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have a mac mini hooked up to my 34" sony xbr960. Fabulous to watch. Use it for movies, WoW, email and surfing the web.

Might as well start off with the bad. The text can be fuzzy, but making the text bigger takes care of it, but sometimes it just looks "off" due to the increasing size of the text. Its easy to live with, zooming (control scroll) will be a friend. Then again, my tv is 720p/1080i, but a top of the line model. A 1080p would look better.

Having a 34" monitor is great. I have it hooked up via dvi-hdmi converter, so I get the best possible picture. Its smooth and the dvd playback is superb. I have an Apple BT mouse and keyboard and use it on a couch 7 feet away.

For music and movies, it is hooked up via digital optical to a 6.1 surround.

I would say go for it if you just need it for music and movies, as the change to core2duo got the mini a nice bump. For a cheaper alternative, pick up a refurbished unit at apple.com, I think the 1.83 CD w/ a superdrive are 479.

A good website all about the mac mini, with a dedicated home theater pc section is 123macmini.com.

Basically I feel that if the mini does all your needs, why not get one?

Good luck