Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Hey guys,

Thought it's about time I signed up after lurking for about a year. I need some advice on what to do with my MBP.

I bought a 17" Hi-Res MBP last year, at the time 15"s were indefinitely delayed and couldn't wait around as I needed it for salary sacrifice. I use it for work (desk-based, some meetings) and for home use, I travel anywhere between 1-1.5 hrs round trip to and from work and usually end up leaving it at work in order to avoid carrying it around so much.

It's been perfect so far, however my gf got a new 2.2 MacBook on the weekend and after playing with it for a while, I realised there's really not that much difference in the two besides screen resolution, for what I need it for anyway. I do use it occasionally for gaming (BF 2142, Unreal Tournament) but I mainly need the basic internet communication, office and garageband for a distraction every now and then.

So I'm thinking that it may be worth considering downgrading to either a 15" MBP or even a MacBook, thinking I can always get a cinema display for home use. Any stories/advice?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I'm in a similar situation. Bought my 17 almost a year ago and regretted it about a month or two later. It's just too big to cart around even for meetings.

And when I travel I end up using the iPhone instead for emails and such. I need something in between those two extremes.

I was going to get the Macbook. That made sense. But I'm going to spend the few extra bucks on the Air and enjoy sort of the other end of the size spectrum this year.

But one important difference is that this will not be my primary Mac. So keep that in mind as well.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Thanks for bringing that up, althought I'd love to get a Mac Pro for home use I'm pretty certain this will be my main Mac for at least another year.

Having seen the tech specs on the Air, I can comfortably say that it won't suit my needs. More power to whoever wants one, I'm sitting this one out.

Sidenote: We're still waiting for the iPhone in Australia, so I don't have that luxury :(

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Thanks for bringing that up, althought I'd love to get a Mac Pro for home use I'm pretty certain this will be my main Mac for at least another year.

Having seen the tech specs on the Air, I can comfortably say that it won't suit my needs. More power to whoever wants one, I'm sitting this one out.

Sidenote: We're still waiting for the iPhone in Australia, so I don't have that luxury :(

Right, then if it were me and I were buying one Mac, it would the 15" MBP. That's what I had before the 17". And before that I had two different 15" G4s. As a primary machine, it's probably the best balance I think.

The mistake I made was having an MP with 30" screen and a 17" MBP. That was a poor choice of balance. I'm hoping the Air and the MP will fit my particular work/travel pattern better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.