Downgrading to 10.8.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AugustusRomanus, Jul 19, 2013.

1. AugustusRomanus macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

Hi, I need to downgrade to an earlier version of Mountain lion, any version prior to 10.8.3, as that is when the bootcamp app was updated to version 5, making it impossible for me to install a 64 bit version of windows 7 with bootcamp. I would like to be able to utilize all the RAM in my system, but to be able to run Win7 64bit, I have to use Bootcamp version 4.0 (I have a Mac Pro 3,1). Is there anyway I can do a reinstall of Mountain Lion, just an earlier version?

Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you saved your Install OS X Mountain Lion.app, it would have an original version of InstallESD.dmg inside. If you download ML from the app store now, you get 10.8.4. So the only way to get 10.8.0 is to revert to old install media you have backed up. Since you are asking for a specific reason, to get 64 bit windows, perhaps the Apple store would have one of those install USB sticks they had lying around when customers were experiencing problems with internet recovery. Perhaps they would be willing to throw a 10.8.0 install on there for you. After all, you own ML and you can easily prove you own it by glancing at purchased apps on any Mac where you log into the OSX app store.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

There are workarounds for this without going to the length of reverting back to an old unstable version of 10.8.
    If you download these drivers, you'll have full Windows 7 x64 support for your computer. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1630

4. AugustusRomanus thread starter macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

This will work for Bootcamp version 5?

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes. Just make sure you uncheck the option to download drivers from within the Bootcamp utility and just do the disk partitioning and then install Windows. After you have Windows installed, run the installer for the Bootcamp 4 drivers.

6. AugustusRomanus thread starter macrumors newbie

AugustusRomanus

Is there anything I do with the file on the OSX side to make it compatible, as before the win7 64 Cd would just spin up and finally eject.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

That sounds like your DVD drive or your disc isn't working properly then. This has no effect on the Mac side of things.