Downgrading to iOS 4 from iOS 5 beta 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by romanhdz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. romanhdz, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

romanhdz macrumors member

Hello all,

I've been trying to downgrade to iOS 4 from iOS5b4, but for some reason, nothing I try works. Everything seems to get me error code "1604" and then my phone stays stuck in recovery mode.

I've tried using iTunes 10.4, 10.5b5, 10.5b2. I've also tried to downgrade to iOS 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.4. I've tried using TinyUmbrella, but that didn't work either. I put my phone in DFU mode, and iTunes just stays stuck in the "Preparing iPhone for restore" screen. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Same thing happened to me before I downgraded back to 4.3.5. You have to get it in DNF mode. The way I did it was basically use the method when jailbreaking your iphone. It will be in DNF mode when the phone screen is completely black. Thats the only time the phone will restore/downgrade/upgrade when in iOS 5. Good luck, it may take a few tries but when you actually get it, the iphone will have the apple logo and a little bar underneath that shows how far along the way the restore is.

3. iTouch.lover22, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

EDIT: Worked a charm! Thanks a lot Dave Felix, I was so close to throwing my iPod at the wall :p

Do you mean DFU mode? I'll try that now, this has also been driving me crazy. Both my iPad and iPod give me Error 1604 no matter what I try!

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

You do know that you can only restore to iOS 4.3.5, right? Except if you've got the SHSH for 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and so on, you can restore to those iOS-versions.

5. romanhdz thread starter macrumors member

Whoo! Thank you Dave Felix!

For anyone else stumbling upon the thread, here is exactly what I did:

1. Launch iTunes (10.5b4) and connect your iPhone (iOS 5b4).
    2. Turn off the iPhone by pressing and holding the sleep button and sliding to power off.
    3. When the iPhone turns off completely, press and hold the sleep and home button for 10 seconds. Stuff appears on the iPhone's screen, but keep doing it.
    4. Release the power button and keep the home button pressed. Your iPhone screen will be completely black.
    5. Restore from iTunes.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

lol yeah DFU idk what I was thinking