Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorsofila

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
I have a 6s+ and upgraded to 10.0.2 a week ago. There's a noticeable performance decline, and battery life is terrible I want to switch back to 9.3.5; the problem is that I only have a 9.x backup that's a year old. My most recent backup in iTunes is for 10.0.2.

If I do a fresh install of iOS 9.3.5, how can I copy over my texts, contacts, and pictures? I don't mind reinstalling apps. My iTunes and iCloud backups are all 10.0.2, so I can't use those apparently.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
There's no way to get the texts back. Everything else can sync over iCloud and iCloud Photo Library.

If I were you, rather than go through all this, just wait for 10.1. Maybe it'll fix your issues.

Edit: I stand corrected. There is a method (although complicated).

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I believe Apple has stopped signing 9.3.5. I think it's to late to go back. Not sure why you're having a performance problem with a 6s +. 10.0 ran fine on my 6 other than a few bugs that are on everyone's device running 10. At this point just wait for 10.1 or do a Erase All and resync your phone. You maybe having residual issues from 9.3.5 like the wifi networking bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe Apple has stopped signing 9.3.5. I think it's to late to go back. Not sure why you're having a performance problem with a 6s +. 10.0 ran fine on my 6 other than a few bugs that are on everyone's device running 10. At this point just wait for 10.1 or do a Erase All and resync your phone. You maybe having residual issues from 9.3.5 like the wifi networking bug.
What makes you believe that about iOS 9.3.5?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Usually Apple stops signing the previous version of iOS two weeks after the launch of the new one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Usually Apple stops signing the previous version of iOS two weeks after the launch of the new one.
That is certainly something that happens often enough, although there are certainly times when it happens earlier and times when it happens later (especially after a major new version is released). So far it seems that iOS 9.3.5 is still being signed (given that things like that can be checked, for example via sites like http://ipsw.me).

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
There's no way to get the texts back. Everything else can sync over iCloud and iCloud Photo Library.

If I were you, rather than go through all this, just wait for 10.1. Maybe it'll fix your issues.

False.

One way to do it is to downgrade to iOS 9.3.5, and create a blank backup.

Use a program like iBackupBot and you can recover the SMS.db and Attachment folders from the 10.x backup to put back into their proper places in the blank backup. Same thing for Contacts and Photos, as long as they were stored in a local backup somewhere. The only requirement is that iBackupBot needs to be able to read iOS 10 backups. If it can't, I'm sure there are other programs that can scan those backups. As long as you can grab the necessary .db files, you will always be able to do this to recover your texts and contacts, among other information.

dorsofila, use the steps DomC provided. I've performed those on iOS 9.3.3, and they work just fine.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
False.

One way to do it is to downgrade to iOS 9.3.5, and create a blank backup.

Use a program like iBackupBot and you can recover the SMS.db and Attachment folders from the 10.x backup to put back into their proper places in the blank backup. Same thing for Contacts and Photos, as long as they were stored in a local backup somewhere. The only requirement is that iBackupBot needs to be able to read iOS 10 backups. If it can't, I'm sure there are other programs that can scan those backups. As long as you can grab the necessary .db files, you will always be able to do this to recover your texts and contacts, among other information.

dorsofila, use the steps DomC provided. I've performed those on iOS 9.3.3, and they work just fine.

iBackupbot does not work with iOS 10 backups. Therefore you cannot get the files/folder to copy over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.