Downgrading to iPhone 4S from iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordanshoes, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jordanshoes, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013

jordanshoes macrumors newbie

Anyone ever done this before?

I currently have an iPhone 5 32 GB with a cracked screen and want to get a new iPhone, but would rather get an iPhone 4S 32GB. I prefer the size and feel of the iPhone 4 much more.

What is the best way to go about this since they dont sell 4S 32 gb anymore? I went into the Apple store and the lady said that I could get a new iPhone 5 for $230. I explained to her that I would rather have a 4S and she said that someone else with a broken 32 gb 4S could turn that in and get a new 32 GB 4S for $200. So essentially could trade broken iPhones and upgrade each for $200/$230. This didnt make sense to me, so wanted to make sure it was true before I tried it. If it is true, I'm assuming someone else would have to trade in the iPhone 4S as I wouldnt be able to do it myself twice with my 5 and another 4S?

Otherwise I might just try to buy a used 4S somewhere and sell my 5 and try to break even

Background on the situation: I've had every iPhone since the start, had an iPhone 4 that I loved and it got stolen in Madrid. Went to an old iPhone 3G while I was living in London and when I moved back to the US I waited until the 5 came out to get a new phone. Went into the store and took me a long time to decided whether to get a 4S or the 5 and I got caught up in the hype and bought a 5.

To me the design of the iPhone 4/4S is perfect. I love the glass backing (i never use a case on iphones) and it just fits in your hand so much better than the 5. 5 is too tall and too skinny to use comfortably with one hand. Plus the iphone 4/4S is just so sexy.

2. jsmith1 macrumors member

I just went the other way, broke my 4s all to heck and finally upgraded to iphone 5 since I got a big discount, happy with it especially the LTE speeds, couldn't go back now.

I was adamant too about not getting the iphone 5 when it came out but waiting because not enough of upgrade to justify full price and I still wouldn't have paid that. This took care of it and happy that I have it now.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

People here are having an heart attack... WHAAAAAT?

I have and like the 4s too, but even I would give a big pause to this adventure. When I tested both, the 5, with its faster processor does feel smoother, I don't know once you have driven a V6, how will it feel going back to a inline-4. Scary.

4. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

5. jordanshoes thread starter macrumors newbie

Updated my original post with a little background. I've always loved the 4, getting the 5 was a mistake in the first place.

I don't think I would notice the difference in speed that much. I got used to a slow iPhone 3G for over half a year after having and iphone 4. The only thing I would really miss is the size of the screen.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm still using a 4S and a 3GS because I didn't think the 5 was worth upgrading to and still don't. I'll see what happens with the 5S but the look will stay the same so I will probably skip it as well.

I was the person who bought every iPhone model but stopped at the 4S. I even had multiples of each phone along the way having had 3 16GB original iPhones at one time.

7. Damolee macrumors 6502

This decision might be regretted once iOS 7 is out. Just a thought.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U mean the rumored FLAT BLACK&WHITE IOS7? If so I may run my 4s to the ground and reminest skimorphism.

10. Damolee macrumors 6502

Every previous generation of iPhone suffers when a new iOS comes out in some way. It has always been the case.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Hasn't stopped many of us from using older iPhones. I still enjoy using my old 3GS for certain things though compared to my 4S and Nexus 4, it's painfully slow now.

12. Damolee macrumors 6502

Nexus 4s still worth getting? Or wait for Nex 5?

(I like to have an Android phone knocking about too)

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

Put up a Craigslist ad offering to trade. A cracked 5 is worth as much as a good condition 4s.

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

From my personal experience yes it is still worth getting. I've had it for around 6 months now and it is still just as fast as the day I got it. Stock android on a quad core snapdragon and 2gb of ram is stupid fast. I can count on one hand the amount of times it has lagged and that was from my own doing. The phone looks and feels great in the hand. The only limitations are HSPA+ (not a problem for me) and the camera which takes great outdoor shots but its indoor leaves a little to be desired. The non removable battery and storage are not a problem for me and is way overblown here. I say get it. The white version is also out.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I think so. They just started selling a white Nexus 4 and you get a free bumper now as well.

Like above, the Nexus 4 is amazingly fast. I open an email from the notification bar and it is open instantly. I have never seen my Nexus 4 lag once yet in almost four months.

16. jordanshoes thread starter macrumors newbie

So does anyone know the answer to my original question? Can you turn in a broken 32 GB 4S and get a new 32 GB 4S for $200 at an apple store?

17. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

You can get an OOW (Out of Warranty) replacement yes, but I am not up to date on the price.